EXPLORER.EXE won't end

Jackcoms 11:47 10 Apr 07

Every time I turn off my laptop (Dell Inspiron 510m, XP SP2) I get the message that 'EXPLORER.EXE isn't responding' and I have to manually end the program before the laptop will shut down.

I believe that this is IE6 - but does anyone have a solution?

I have already run sfc /scannow with no joy.

VoG II 11:55 10 Apr 07

explorer.exe is Windows Explorer - a key component of Windows.

If you Google for explorer.exe not responding there are zillions of possible causes and remedies.

Good luck!

Jackcoms 11:58 10 Apr 07

Zillions???

OK, thanks for that.

I'll see what I can find and get back to you in about 5 years time. ;-)

anchor 12:57 10 Apr 07

I had this problem a year or so ago. I read somewhere the following suggestion, which worked for me.

IMPORTANT: Only do this if you are confident modifying the registry; always do a back up before making any changes.

Run regedit to open the registry editor.

Open: HKEY_CURRENT USER\control panel\desktop

In the right pane right click the entry "AutoEndTasks". In the value field, change the value to 1. Click OK, and close the registry editor.

If you want to go back at any time, change the value back to 0.

Note: you will have to re-boot the PC for any changes to take effect.

birdface 14:02 10 Apr 07

If in large print it could be a virus, Check here. click here

birdface 14:09 10 Apr 07

Oops sorry got mixed up with IEXPLORE.EXE

birdface 19:28 10 Apr 07

Hope you manage to get it fixed,Just been browsing your problem for about an hour and there are so many different problems with explorer.exe Finding the correct one for you could take a while.I dont think vog was far off with his prediction.

birdface 12:07 11 Apr 07

click here .There is also a here conection that takes you into Microsoft.

Jackcoms 12:22 11 Apr 07

No joy on this one and I also have my other problem re MS updates click here

The laptop is now freezing up on a regular basis so I've decided to do a format and re-install of Windows.

Does anybody know of a site which can give me a complete idiot's guide to formatting a HDD and re-installing XP?

birdface 12:26 11 Apr 07

Another chap with the same problem found out it was Real Player,Deleted it and no problem since,Another was to move to Firefox still there but not so bad,Another was to get rid of Explorer.Exe and download another program to take its place,Tried to find that program again but failed.

birdface 12:44 11 Apr 07

I use XP Office 2002,And cannot download any up-dates,All I get when i try is Patch Package could not be opened, Whatever that means.There have been a lot of bad downloads from Microsoft in the last couple of months,Do they come back and say sorry for that,No chance.Best of luck with your reformat if you go ahead with it.Sorry I cannot help you with formatting the hard drive,Even the Idiots guide would be to hard for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…