explorer.exe takes 98% CPU

taffyal 16:52 09 Mar 06

PC slows down, when I check task manager it shows 100% CPU usage, 98% of this is down to explorer. exe, system idle shows zero. If I do a restart it runs OK, then happens again, sometimes within minutes, sometimes hours. I have XP Pro, 512 ram, 40hd, 1.2 cpu. Running avg, spybot s&d, adaware,winpatrol. Also crapcleaner. Have searched archives, no success. Any help please?

taffyal 11:23 10 Mar 06

Please?

Does your explorer restart itself as i have had similar problem but with actual folders for instance as i have loads of photos/films in the folders and i open it up as the folder is set to best for vids/pics as there is poss to many explorer will keep restarting and say there is an error but only when i open that file so it may be you are opening a file that causes it or you have a desktop item

Also im not sure but thins like changing your desktop through programs like windows blinds could cause it as far as i am aware the explorer.exe file is basically your desktop/GUI

taffyal 12:26 10 Mar 06

Hi Juggy.It seems to happen for no reason, the PC can be left idle, I come back & the problem is there, nothing running to cause it.I have a few films in my documents-40gig HD is half full-but it happens when I have nothing open.I tried leaving it for 2 hours, but it was still taking 98%, until I restarted it. Cheers, Al

absent 14:01 10 Mar 06

Check that explorer.exe is in the C:\windows folder, if not it may be a virus, take a look click here

taffyal 15:22 10 Mar 06

Hi Absent.Its definitely in the windows folder. I tried turning it off in taskmanager, & lost my desktop! Strangely, it hasnt occurred yet today. cheers, Al

taffyal 16:43 18 Mar 06

Did a remove/format HD/reinstall, but it still does it.

terryf 17:09 18 Mar 06

Do a search to find out how many instances of explorer.exe you have. I have only one plus a prefetch file. I remember AVG finding a virus/trojan that was called explorer.exe that was in some obscure windows folder. AVG quarantined it and then it was deleted

taffyal 17:20 18 Mar 06

Thanks Terryf- just looked, got same as you.AVG has found nothing! Cheers Al

ACOLYTE 17:25 18 Mar 06

Can i ask how you know that explorer is using 98% of the CPU?,in my task manager Win XP home it doesnt say what uses the CPU,it just shows the usage.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017