explorer.exe has caused an error

jayne_uk 20:02 03 Oct 03

please help. I am continuously getting 'explorer.exe has caused an error and will be restarted.' messages on my pc. Then when I click ok the desktop disappears and I have to reboot. I am running Windows 2000 and have recently installed Service Pack 4. This only occurs when I am logged in on my account and not any other accounts. I can't uninstall the service pack as it makes changes to the registry that I cant repair without a backup of the registry. I dont know what to do - any ideas?

VoG II 20:32 03 Oct 03

In view of the deafening silence...

A search on the MS Knowledgebase shows many, many causes of explorer.exe errors in W2K. I just wonder if click here might be connected in some way?

TOPCAT® 20:51 03 Oct 03

.. here's some items from Microsoft's Knowledge Base to check. As VoG says, there are many to view but I can find only one reference to Service Pack 4 which is at the second link - scroll halfway down page. TC.

click here

click here=

jayne_uk 22:58 03 Oct 03

Ive looked on the links u gave me and many message boards on the net but it's still not solved the problem. Is there any way of just re-installing explorer.exe from the Win 2000 disk? or is it possible to re-install windows without formatting the disk and losin all my stuff?

VoG II 23:04 03 Oct 03

I don't know if this will work in W2K but try Start, Run and type (or paste)

and click the OK button.

jayne_uk 23:08 03 Oct 03

I tried to run that before and it prompts u to put the win 2k installation disk in & i did and it wouldn't work.

I've also installed ad-aware and checked for spyware that may have caused the problem but no joy there eitha.

VoG II 23:12 03 Oct 03

"I tried to run that before and it prompts u to put the win 2k installation disk in & i did and it wouldn't work. "

What happens, exactly please?

jayne_uk 23:17 03 Oct 03

I typed in SFC /SCANNOW and it loads and asks for the win 2k disk. So i put it in and pressed 'Retry' and it started to work but then it kept prompting me for the disk again and again. I kept pressing retry till it got to the end but then a message came up saying I must have used the wrong installation disk because the files were different - or something along those lines. (i know it dusnt make much sense).

VoG II 23:36 03 Oct 03

Sorry this is all I can find click here

If you do this, you will then have to install all the cservice packs. However, it may well work.

jayne_uk 23:37 03 Oct 03

I also downloaded 3 of the Windows 2000 Hotfixes at the same time I downloaded SP4. Could these b 2 blame? They are critical security updates:

Windows 2000 Hotfix KB823559

Jus a thought....

jayne_uk 23:45 03 Oct 03

Well, im just gonna try re-installing Win2k and then if that doesnt work it looks like il have to format it & start again.

Thanks for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…