Explorer.exe fault on Win98se

Tadpole Ted 21:17 25 Sep 05

I'm using Win98 SE in an old Tiny machine and just ran disk cleanup for the first time in ages. On rebooting, i get the wallpaper, the Windows startup theme and then a message telling me that "Explorer: this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down".
In the details section, it tells me that "Explorer has caused a stack fault in module Kernel32.DLL at 0167:bffb9941 etc.."

All I have at this point is my desktop wallpaper and the mouse pointer - no toolbars, nothing.
Ctrl+Alt+Del brings up an empty box, and the only option is to reboot.

I've attempted to get into command prompt (hitting Ctrl as system boots) but this doesnt seem to work.
I've also tried to boot with a rescue disk and do a Scanreg/restore but this simply brings me back to the A:> prompt and tells me it was as an invalid command.
I've even tried to import explorer.exe from the Win98se disc using ext.exe but I cant seem to find the right path or file name. It seems the machine doesnt recognise the D drive (CD Rom) now.

Can anyone help please??

MAJ 21:28 25 Sep 05

Is the CD-ROM recognised by the BIOS, Tadpole Ted? If it is, change the BIOS to boot from the CD-ROM and restart the computer with the Windows CD in the CD-ROM drive and re-install Windows over itself, i.e. install it in the C:\Windows folder.

RobGoldfish 01:54 26 Sep 05

To get into the Command Prompt repeatdly tap F8 at start up.
As well as scanreg/restore, you could also try entering scandisk at the prompt.
I would try Safe mode first and if you can then access Windows run the System File Checker.

I doubt either safe mode or scanreg/restore will help, it never helps when I get this problem, but its worth a trial.
Failing that MAJ's suggestion of installing Windows over itself is the only option, or fresh install, yuk I hate doing that. Good Luck.
Rob. :)

Tadpole Ted 02:13 26 Sep 05

Tried all the Command prompt DOS stuff already - nothing worked. So have gone into BIOS, got the machine to boot from the CD ROM and am re-installing windows. Taking forever but seems to be working...!!
Many thanks for the tips guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…