Explorer.exe fault on shutdown

StephenPhillips 14:22 22 Feb 03

I have just taken delivery or a new Dell PC using WindowsXP Professional (and Office XP professional).

I have loaded a number of programs such as Adobe, Fusion Netobject V7 and so on, with no problems, but as soon as I loaded my old files (all created on a computer using Windows ME and Office 2000) I get an error message along the lines of "Explorer.exe not responding" when the PC is closesd down.

Dell tell me that the problem must be the files I have imported; that this has corrupted the operating system and that I must debug / fdisk / format and reinstall the opertaing system. All of whicih takes time and greater understanding than I have!

u>Questions: /u>
Is it possible that ordinary files could have cause this problem (the ME computer is still working with the same files on??

Has anyone had a similar problem and found a fix?

Any ideas?

spikeychris 15:53 22 Feb 03

If the files you have installed are not compatible then it can cause problems. The advice from Dell seems a bit extreme, have You tried to un-install the files then SFC /scannow from run?

If that fails then you could use the repair option in WinXp (after you un-install the files)

click here for a good link on how to repair XP.

StephenPhillips 09:39 23 Feb 03

Thanks Spikeychris, I'll try this and report back.

powerless 09:51 23 Feb 03

Could also update office click here

powerless 09:52 23 Feb 03

Mis read your post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…