Explorer.exe causes hang on XP shutdown

Wilkoandout 07:49 01 Feb 05

A dialogue box saying explorer.exe is not responding appears at shutdownand when end now button clicked box disappears, but system hangs without closing. No new software was installed prior to the error and error occurs even when Explorer has not been activated in the session. Help?

VoG II 08:07 01 Feb 05

click here and scroll down to PROGRAMS HANG / BECOME UNRESPONSIVE (near the bottom).

Wilkoandout 19:02 01 Feb 05

I tried the link provided and had no success, though it is a ery useful reference source. I have identified the potential problem "prefetch file": explorer.EXE-082F38A9.pf. I've deleted it a couple of time, but it is always replicated. The system will eventually shut down after about 3 mins if left to its own resources...still very annoying. Finally no problems found by NAV, Norton Util. or Skybot. The search continues...

VoG II 19:07 01 Feb 05

Try turning prefetch off click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:23 01 Feb 05

XP Shutdown problems
click here

Wilkoandout 20:06 01 Feb 05

VoG...do you ever sleep? Thanks for your assistance, problems downloading Prefetch Tool, but I'll let you know how it goes. And thanks to Fruitbat, you supplied the same resource as VoG, looks a good troubleshooting site, however reg changes failed to resolve the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…