explorer.exe

Southernboy 17:21 26 May 05

Since buying a new PC with XP SP2, I find I have quite a lot of problems with applications (which are XP compatible) hanging. Event viewer reports that they are caused by explorer.exe.

Can anyone tell me what this is all about, please? I never had a problem with my previous PC.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:25 26 May 05

REpair explore (part of XP)

Repair Internet Explorer explanation
click here

In XP tpye sfc /scannow in run box with XP CD in drive

Southernboy 15:06 31 May 05

Since my PC is not connected to the Internet, what has Internet exporer got to do with Applications hanging? To the best of my knowledge, I have never ever used Internet Explorer.

dth 15:09 31 May 05

Many of the elements from explorer and internet explorer are shared - hence Fruit Bat's suggestions.

Southernboy 15:26 31 May 05

what is the difference between explorer and internet explorer? What IS explorer, if it is not the same as internet explorer.

PS. I don't have an XP disc - only a recovery disc supplied by Evesham who state that it should not be inserted without speaking to them first.

SEASHANTY 15:53 31 May 05
  SEASHANTY 16:07 31 May 05

...and if you need another explanation, which will probably leave you as baffled as it did me, then see this explanation
click here

Diemmess 16:27 31 May 05

Windows Explorer is opened and displayed and usable when explorer.exe is run.

Quote from SEASHANTY's link ---- "The original file from Microsoft gets placed at C:\WINDOWS\System32\explorer.exe . if you find it anywhere else then you should be suspicious for sure."

By that it means there is some malware about. A number of postings about badly infested PCs have shown an extra copy of explorer.exe in folders where they are not normally found. It might be worth running a search for this file and see how instances you can find other than the expected one in C:\WINDOWS\System32\

gudgulf 17:19 31 May 05

Be carefull of what is written in that link! If you use XP then do a search for explorer.exe and see where you find it.....mine is in C:\Windows and not C:\Windows\System32.There is no explorer file in system32 at all on my system.click here
This also gives the System32 location but if you read through the comments you will find that this is incorrect.....when checking for the validity of explorer.exe check the properties of the files you find and check that it is signed by Microsoft.

Diemmess 22:20 31 May 05

Note well what gudgulf has said......... He's probably correct. My feeble excuse is that some malware has a rogue file which has a familiar name, but is in the wrong folder and carries code which has nothing to do with the genuine explorer.exe

A bogus file will almost certainly be a different size from the genuine one.

Southernboy 13:15 01 Jun 05

as I have already stated, this PC has NEVER been connected to the internet, so viruses or malware cannot apply. This is a false direction to take.

My computer was purchased at the end of February this year and worked well until 2nd May, when all these problems started. I have not installed anything other than Lotus ME 9.7, MS Money 2000, Iomegaware and Automatic Backup and Retrospect 6.0, all when the PC was bought. All worked as they should for two months, and then all sorts of problems.

Logically, something must have happened on that date to cause these problems. I am trying to establish what it was.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…