Explorer wont detect SATA hard drive

jagx400 16:42 21 Jan 05

I have just upgraded my PC to a ASUS K8V-X MB and AMD 64 3000 CPU I have installed a new 160gb SATA hard drive on sata 0 channel and my old hard drive on IDE 0 I put my windows cd in so that I could format the sata drive and install windows on it, Windows didnt find it and promptly booted up from the old hard drive on ide 0 and is now running normally. I want to run the sata hard drive as the main drive. I have been into windows explorer and it doesnt show the new sata drive but the new M/B drivers are there as there is a new icon on the task bar called via raid tool and when I open it it shows me the HD is there. Anyone know how to set all this up to how I want it

Completealias 16:56 21 Jan 05

During windows setup there is an option to install third party RAID / SCSI drivers chances are that you need to install the drivers for the SATA controller at that point. Windows setup should then hopefully find the drive. Not sure why u can't c it in explorer thou

jagx400 17:39 21 Jan 05

I pressed f3 when set up asked for it but it then prompted me for a floppy which i dont have

jagx400 17:44 21 Jan 05

The raid tool program that came with the mobo sees the drive but it wont let me do anything with it all the options are greyed out

buscrew 17:51 21 Jan 05

Firstly You need to copy the Raid drivers from your mobo CD to a floppy. The manual should explain how to do this.

Secondly boot from the XP CD, and watch for an option to press F6 to install SCSI drivers, Press F6 after placing the previously created floppy in the floppy drive, this will install the RAID drivers.

The PC will reboot and you will see an option to enter RAID setup, go there and define your RAID 0,1, or JBOD or whatever you want, after this the PC will reboot and continue to install Windows. As a precaution I would disconnect the IDE drive until windows is up and running correctly.

jagx400 18:01 21 Jan 05

Sorry new to this but what do yu mean by define your raid

jagx400 18:47 21 Jan 05

boing

mattyc_92 18:54 21 Jan 05

To start off with, insert the Windows CD and restart your system... Then When it starts to boot up from the CD, you will notice that the first option at the bootm of the screen (where the taskbar would be), you will see that you can install "third party" hardware... So Press F6 like is says to... Then insert your Floppy disk that contains the "drivers" for the Serail ATA controller (if it is part of your motherbaord, then you will have to look for the files on the motherboard's installation disk and copy the files onto a floppy disk)... Now let it carry on loading up all the hardware it normally does, then press S->Enter->Enter and the installation will load up the remaining hardware devices and your SATA controller!!!!

You WILL now see the drive as an option to install upon... ***NOTE: You MUST physically disconect your old drive to be able to install windows!!!*****

You cannot see the drive at the momnent because you haven't installed your SATA controller, so the computer doesn't know if there is anything conected to it!!!

jagx400 20:28 21 Jan 05

Because of all the help here I now have windows installed on the new sata drive, now the next problem, when I connect the old drive IDE 0 it boots from there and loads up windows from the old drive, how do I get it to boot from the new sata drive. Whatever i seem to do in the bios it always boots from IDE0 and the old HD, thtat is why I am here as I aint finished all the installs (progs) on the other drive

mattyc_92 21:17 21 Jan 05

I had to format my old hard-disk using the program that came with the hard disk

phono 22:11 21 Jan 05

Hi jagx400.

There is most likely a boot priority option in the BIOS settings of your Mobo where you can choose which hard drive the system will boot from first, I have a Chaintech Mobo that has this option, I should imagine your Asus Mobo has as well.

BTW, there may even be a BIOS setting that would let you choose between IDE or RAID modes for your hard drive, again my Chaintech Mobo has this option, if you choose IDE you don't need to install raid drivers and you can do a straight install from the Windows XP CD, this may not be of much help to you now though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…