Explorer so slow!!

CutNpaste 23:29 24 Jan 05

Hi Everybody,

I'm trying to figure out why my explorer takes so long to load a web page - like this site 'pc advisor', when i have a 1mb connection. It was not like this at first. At the beginning the page used to load almost instantly and now its like dial up.
Heres my pc spec if its needed:

Pentium 4 775 3.4
Assus MoBo
1 GB ram
300GB
XP Pro - With SP2

Please help!!!

Chezdez 23:33 24 Jan 05

run spybot and adaware if you don't already have them

click here

click here

also, try defrag (start > all programs > accessories > system tools > defragmentor), and disk clean up (same as above, but disk clean up instead of defragmentor)

and do a virus scan

:D hope that helps

johnnyrocker 23:34 24 Jan 05

first possible culprit might be spyware, what if any anti spyware do you have on board?

johnny.

CutNpaste 23:38 24 Jan 05

I've got pc cillin 2002 oem.
dont think that working.

I'll try spybot. and give feedback,

Cheers guys

griffon 56 00:36 25 Jan 05

Hi CutnPaste,

Try using the Mozilla Firefox browser, noticeably faster on dialup than IE6, together with Ashampoo Internet Accelerator, both free downloads from PCA and Computeractive.

Also try using Ad-Aware SE personal from click here, a-squared anti-malware from, I believe, click here, Spybot Search & Destroy, Download Accelerator Plus free download from Computeractive and PCA and Spyware Blaster, on the basis that if one of them doesn't work the others might.

A good site for all sorts of free licence tools is click here, have a browse, and also, click here. Good luck.

JonnyTub 00:42 25 Jan 05

At the top of the browser click Tools, internet options, and should be on general tab. Delete cookies, delete files (check mark delete offline content as well) and clear history.

CutNpaste 00:46 25 Jan 05

Hey guyz,

I've run spybot and adware.
spyware found more than 100 spywares and adware - believe it or not it found more than 1000 adware. I havent restarted my system yet, but already i'm seeing better performance.

I dont understand, shouldn't my antivirus get rid of these?

Any way i'll try mozilla and can someone advise me on which internet security is the best. I mean from ur personal experience. Becasue i've read a recent review on the internet and apparently nortons is nowhere near the top three.

Cheers guys

JonnyTub 00:49 25 Jan 05

the popular ones tend to be zonealarm and avg 7 antivirus, both free

CutNpaste 01:01 25 Jan 05

But are they better than nortons, mcafee, pc-cillin etc.

griffon 56 01:05 25 Jan 05

Hi CutNpaste,

Got your name right this time. Antivirus gets rid of viruses. Spyware, unwanted ads, data miners, keyloggers and others of that ilk are known as malware and are not necessarily detected by a virus checker if it hasn't got the ability to do so, which is why you should have all kinds of checkers active on your machine. You should also have a Firewall active whenever you are on line to defeat the automatic scanners which can gain access to your machine and place a nice little bit of malware on it without you knowing.

The programs I am going to recommend are not necessarily the best there are, but I am finding them more than adequate, and most of them are available as free downloads from either PCA or Computeractive. For the Firewall, Zone Alarm 5.5 available direct from click here but better from a cover disc to make loading quicker. It stops unwanted attempts to access your computer whilst online. As an example, over the last 12 days my copy has detected 548 attempts to access my computer and has classified 28 of them as high risk, so it's worth having.

For the virus checker all the experts recommend Anti Virus Gold 7 a free download from www. grisoft.com, but again, better from a disc.

The better malware killers have all been recommended already so there's only one other piece you ought to get and that is an Internet History Trace destroyer like Steganos Internet Trace Destructor 6.0 avaialble from PCA or Web Wipe, also, I think available from PCA. With these installed and running you can not only protect your machine but always make sure it is free from all the clogging temporary files and other crap it picks up whilst on the net. Good luck.

JonnyTub 01:06 25 Jan 05

In my opinion, yes, others will agree and others won't, but at the end of the day, i suspect the vast majority of members here use them along with other free alternatives.

P.s. I've never had a problem yet, that these two couldn't take care of and i've been surfing for 5 years.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…