explorer shutting down

digi man 10:59 01 Aug 06

I have recently installed McAfee Internet Security 2006. I don't know if it's cleared or changed some program text, but when I click on My Comp, My Doc's or internet explorer, a box appears containing the following message:

Runtime Error!

Program C\windows\explorer.exe

The application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unexpected way. Please contact the applications support team for advice.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Steve

xania 16:14 01 Aug 06

This was probably cuased by a faulty Windows application causing Macafee to install badly and exacerbating the problem. Certainly, you've got some damaged Windows files. Repairs are easy assuming you have your original Windows install disc, but less so if all you have is one of those wretched OEM reinstallation CDs. However, let's try:

1. Boot in Safe mode (F8) during bootup. This will sometimes repair damaged software and all will be well.

2. In normal mode, run SFC /scannow with the install CD in the primary drive.

3. Reboot with the CD still in the PC and chose the option to repair.

rawprawn 17:35 01 Aug 06

Please note it is Start/Run/Type sfc /scannow (watch the space and type it exactly or copy this and paste). This should solve your problem in normal mode without going into safe mode.

rawprawn 17:36 01 Aug 06

I should have said you will need your XP CD, put it in when asked and follow any instructions.

rawprawn 17:38 01 Aug 06

Just tested and hadn't realised sfc would run in upper case, sorry xania

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced