Explorer problems on Windows 98

Tony-255154 20:59 08 Dec 03

I have a Pentium 200MMX pc, running Win98SE.
Recently, my Windows Explorer began to cause a "Fatal Error" whilst Windows was booting. When Explorer was closed, Windows stops loading, and i'm left with a blank green screen. I have reinstalled windows, which solved the problem, untill i tryed to access the internet. when Inetrnet Explorer opened, my computer cashed, and upon rebooting my system, i was greeted with the "Explorer has caused a fatal error" system box.

I have a seperate system of a similar configuration, which also occationally experiences "Fatal Errors" caused by explorer whilst booting. but on this system, explorer is restarted, and windows continues to boot. the only difference in software between the two systems is that my seconed system uses IE6, where as my faulty system uses IE5.

would this cause any major differences? or does anyone know of any other way i can rectify my problem.

Tony Jay

Gaz 25 21:10 08 Dec 03

You could try installing IE6,

But I would suggest a virus and spyware scan just to rule out that problem. To be truthful, the amount of spyware that has caused simalar problems to this is amazing.

click here

click here

splatterpuss 20:58 10 Jan 04

Tony
I have had problems since I updated to the point where the file explorer was removed and windows explorer 6 became the only way to find and open. However, as I have put in so many Windows updates and patches, I cannot really tell when this problem exactly started.

About 50% of the time, and I can find no pattern in this, when I click on a file icon to open it, Explorer closes. It tells me there is an error and that it must close, but it does not tell me what the error is.

Your problems is obviously a lot more serious than mine. Did you ever resolve it. If so, did you come across anything that might help me?

Ian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…