Explorer problems in 98

kinger 20:36 17 Feb 04

Hi all, Starting windows 98 we get 'Exploer performed an illegal error and will shut down'.

explorer.execute @ 015s:40001f31 etc.

This happens even in safe mode.

any ideas, it was all fine until we started the computer one day.

Thanks, Kinger!

Gongoozler 20:44 17 Feb 04

This is the nearest I have found to a description of your symptoms click here

kinger 21:08 17 Feb 04

Thanks, I will attempt to extract files from the CD back onto the PC and see if it cures the problem.

kinger 22:26 01 Mar 04

Had to reinstall Windows in the end. It was having none of it.

Managed to move the valuable data in 'My Documents' to another partition using DOS commands. Had to think hard to remember it all....over the telehone to a friend too (smile).

Gongoozler 07:49 02 Mar 04

Hi kinger. It's good to see that you've resolved the problem, even if it did take a Windows reinstallation to do it. In my Windows 98se system I have My Documents in a second partition just in case I have to reinstall Windows. I also keep my Emails and Temporary Internet files on the second partition for the same reason. I think this also aids defragging.

Valvegrid 08:01 02 Mar 04

It's also worth making a Programs folder on the second partition to save all the exe files you download, this saves a lot of time scrabbling around the internet trying to find them all again, especially after a re-format.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…