Explorer keeps shutting down

DIYgirl 19:11 28 Dec 04

I recently installed software for a new broadband connection (that is still not up and running--but that's all in another thread). At about the same time I ran Adaware, Spybot and so on to tidy things up a bit.

Since then, I have had problems with Internet Explorer. If post on any forums where the reply form pops up in a new window, once I send my reply I get an error message telling me that iexplorer has to close down. Next time I visit the forum my answer is there, so at least I can post: but this is irritating. Perhaps I should just stop going to internet forums!

If I close any popups (don't get many--most are blocked) then again, explorer closes.

Any ideas what is going on, and how I can stop it happening?

VoG II 19:13 28 Dec 04

Try a repair click here

And/or get a better browser click here

DIYgirl 19:55 28 Dec 04

VoG, I have tried a few times now to get to those links, and I can't: I get an error message telling me that the page is not available. And I have just tried to post a reply to your message telling you that, and again, I get a message telling me that the page is not available.

Hope this post gets through. I still can't get to your links.

VoG II 19:58 28 Dec 04

Which version of Windows do you have, DIYgirl?

The second link is to www . mozilla . org for the Firefox browser.

DIYgirl 20:08 28 Dec 04

VoG, I run Win98 (updated to SE via downloads) on an ancient Dell machine. About 6 years old.

Why is Firefox better than IE? (or is that one of those takes-pages-to-answer questions and I should just trust you here?) Will it take a long time to download (I'm on dial-up)? If I download it will it take lots of setting up before I can use it? I am not brilliantly computerish, I'm afraid. Silly me.

VoG II 20:12 28 Dec 04

1. Repairing IE.

From the Start menu, select Settings, and then choose Control Panel. The Control Panel window will appear.

Open the Add/Remove Programs icon. The Add/Remove Programs window will appear.

In the lower window, click the Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.x and Internet Tools option or the Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x and Internet Tools option, and then click the Add/Remove button.

Click the Repair Internet Explorer option and then click the OK button.

Click the Yes button to continue with the repair.

Restart the computer when you are prompted and allow the computer to configure Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Alternate fix to repair Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.x for Windows 98 SE:

From the Start menu, choose Run.

In the Open field, type

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE5Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

Note: The command is case-sensitive.

Click the OK button.

Click the Repair Internet Explorer option and then click the OK button.

Click the Yes button to continue with the repair.

Restart the computer when you are prompted and allow the computer to configure Microsoft Internet Explorer.

2. Firefox

"Trust me". The download is 4.7 MB so perhaps best to wait until you get your broadband connection sorted.

VoG II 20:15 28 Dec 04

Firefox doesn't take any real setting up as such. I would recommend *not* choosing the option to make it the default browser when installing. You can always do this later if you wish.

DIYgirl 20:26 28 Dec 04

VoG, you are an angel. I'll have a go at the repair tomorrow when the gin has worn off, and let you know how I get on.

VoG II 20:27 28 Dec 04

How you know I'm on the gin is beyond me but good luck anyway ;o)

DIYgirl 20:33 28 Dec 04

I can smell the fumes from here, sweetie.

(or is that your line? Can't tell, things are too hazy just now...!)

DIYgirl 09:17 29 Dec 04

VoG, I tried the fix you told me about and it was really easy to do. The trouble is that it hasn't worked. I have tried it twice now, and things are no better. Apparently I have IE 6.1, if that makes any difference. Oh, dear. I had such faith in you!

Any other ideas or should I just stop spending so much time posting on other message boards?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…