Explorer Hanging when opening

drewster 11:40 19 Jun 03

For the past few weeks I've been having hanging problems with IE6 (aha, I hear you cry - checked other postings on this but nothing quite the same) and windows explorer. With IE6, if I try to type a URL into the address bar, it hangs for a while, before continuing to enter the whole address. With windows explorer, it hangs when opening. Once open, its fine. Same problem with Adaptec Easy CD creator - takes ages to open, but once in, its fine. I'm running Win98.
Have defragged and repaired IE6, but no joy.
Any advice?

Jester2K II 11:53 19 Jun 03

Virus?? You up to date? Seen many PC run like dogs for no reason only to discover some scum bag resource hogging virus at work in the background....

drewster 11:59 19 Jun 03

I should theoretically be able to see such a scum bag if I ctrl-alt-delete and see active programmes - is there anywhere else I should look? How can I tell what should be running and what is running in addition? Have used Norton anti-virus, but no, sad to say, its not as up to date as it should be...

Jester2K II 12:03 19 Jun 03

Not necessarily easy to spot or even see - easiest to update Norton or get AVG Free Edition from click here

Ali-232430 12:03 19 Jun 03

I had a similar problem (except every application ran like a dog), running Win2k Prof on a 850Mhz Dell Latitude with 128K mem. Fairly well spec'd machine I thought. So must be a virus, till I updated my virus scanner pattern file ( was already up to date) and did a full scan off my hard drive. "No virus found" it said. Seriously confused. So I added another 256K memory ( a bit overkill!!), but never had a problem since. So in case Jester2K II's virus recommendation doesn't work, try that. But try his first..

drewster 12:38 19 Jun 03

Thanks - tried the AVG download, and no virus found. SAHA, I'm running AMD 750Mhz with 256Mb RAM so thought it should be sufficient. Have just bought GEforce FX card - will that use up huge quantities of memory?

woodchip 12:44 19 Jun 03

Take any CD's out of the drive's and see if it works

drewster 13:03 19 Jun 03

Sorry Woodchip, no difference. Funnily enough, though, since I installed a new DVD ROM drive, Explorer is indicating an extra CD drive which does not exist - any connection?

woodchip 16:01 19 Jun 03

Go to Device Manager and Remove CD an DVD drives Shute down, Then restart your computer

drewster 16:18 19 Jun 03

Will do - presumably windows will detect new hardware when I restart? Actually, forgot to mention that PC doesn't restart properly by itself (freezes).
Is unknown drive potentially causing problems?

keewee 16:26 19 Jun 03

Hi drewster,
I'm not sure if this will work with ie 6,
but if you go to add/remove programs in control panel, and double click on internet explorer, you should be given the option to repair IE. This might sort out your problem. If not, you can rename and extract iexplore.exe click here;en-us;129605

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…