Explorer Error

pj1664 20:13 19 Jan 04

I have a problem with my son's computer. Every time he opens Internet explorer or open any window i.e My document or a programme file error message comes up "Explorer has caused an error" close or details, when I press details sometimes the message says "a problem was caused by kernell and follows by some numbers. and If closed is pressed then It kicks you back to the desktop. I have check for viruses but there isn't any. I am operating windows 98. This problem has been happening for a few weeks now but its becoming more regular more often. The thought of reinstalling windows did come to mind but only If its the last resort. Please advise. Thank you.

I've had this on occasions on Win98se and from what I recall, either a re-install of windows, over the top of your existing (you shouldn't loose any of your data) or a re-format and then install windows again. Obviously, you'll loose all data with a format. That's all I can come up with ... unless anyone knows something else! J

TommyRed 21:04 19 Jan 04

You could try a repair of Internet Explorer which in 98 is I believe accessed through add/remove programs. HTH TR

splatterpuss 21:09 19 Jan 04

I had a similar problem so search back a couple of weeks for the advice given to me. Basically, cut your error message from the details screen "something caused an error in kernel... at adress..." and paste it in the Google search engine. This pulls up all kinds of similar errors but there were a couple specifically related to kernels and the cures. You might be lucky.
You can go to the MS knowledge base, but this route seemed easier for me and found all of the same info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…