//some 3rd party need geo

Explorer & Con Tray won't close, Linux & XP

wint 18:16 07 Apr 03

Good evening.

I am perplexed.

On removable hard drives (in caddies) 1 one disk dual boot Win ME with Win XP home, another dual boot Red Hat Linux and XP home.

The original set up, used for months, ME & XP, often - 1 in 10 times - asks for disk check at boot up. Win XP is the default to start. Every time it closes I see a pop up box, Explorer is not responding, wait for windoze or close now etc, followed 10 seconds later by the same message for the Connections Tray.

Doing a detect and repair in Excel 2000 cures this for one or two sessions. OK, it's not a major fault as they go but I am sick of it and can't find out what's causing it.

The reason I find Excel cures it (temporarily) is that 1 in 20 boot ups I see a message that "Excel has developed a problem and needs to close" or similar wording. This is quite random and Excel may not have been used for days before!

I decided to start afresh. Format spare 40 gig drive and install, dual boot Linux Redhat and Win XP home. A few hours of configuring and Windoze XP gives me the same old "Explorer is not responding" message!

Anyone got any bright ideas please?

Thanks,

Wint.

wint 19:22 10 Apr 03

Also, forgot to mention. If I try and do anything such as move the mouse in the first few seconds after Windows loads whilst still booting, I see a black screen as it crashes, re-boots and error checks the disk.

I have plenty of RAM, 512Mb.

wint 21:27 29 May 03

I thought I'd submit it one more time.

powerless 21:29 29 May 03

Stick your XP Disc.

Go to Start > Run > Copy and Paste:

SFC /SCANNOW

Click ok and give it five.

Reboot, see if it's cured.

powerless 21:30 29 May 03

Stick your XP disc in the CD drive.

wint 22:01 29 May 03

Powerless, I tried that (hence the time lapse) but it didn't do the trick, same problem exists.

Any other ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…