Explorer closing down with error message!

otubby1 08:59 12 May 03

A strange thing has been happening redently, and I wonder if any of you can help me correct it.

I'm running ME on an Athlon 1800+ with 256 meg DDR memory and a 40 GIG IDE HD.

For some reason, and without warning, and always when I hit the back button, I get a dialogue box appears with an obscure message stating that theere has been a problem and Explorer will have to close and do I want to send a report to his lordship!

Now, whether I hit the 'send report' button or the 'don't send' button, the result is that, sometimes things freeze and I have to do the ctrl/alt thing, and sometimes it just closes the window and disconnects.

The first time this happened was only a couple of weeks ago and is becoming more frequent. I have PCCillin as my AV so I don't think it is a virus, I think it is a system problem such as graphics or memory. The graphics card is ProSavage8 3D integrated on an ASRock (K7VM2?)motherboard.

Any ideas, as you know, would be appreciated.

VoG™ 09:03 12 May 03

You could try repairing Internet Explorer click here

otubby1 09:14 12 May 03

Sorry VoG, could you try the link again, please.

VoG™ 09:16 12 May 03

click here

http: //help.att.net/docs/howto/other/win/how_ie5_w95-3x_repair-tool.htm?np=1&area=customer_browser&customercontent=customer_browser&platform=none

without the space before //

VoG™ 09:18 12 May 03

Actually, it will be easier if I just post what it says for ME:

How to run the Microsoft Internet Explorer Repair Tool

Summary: Steps to run the Microsoft Internet Explorer Repair Tool.

How-To

To repair Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.x or 6.x for Windows 95/98/98 SE (Second Edition) and ME:

From the Start menu, select Settings, and then choose Control Panel. The Control Panel window will appear.

Open the Add/Remove Programs icon. The Add/Remove Programs window will
appear.

In the lower window, click the Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.x and Internet Tools
option or the Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x and Internet Tools option, and then click the Add/Remove button.

Click the Repair Internet Explorer option and click the OK button.

Click the Yes button to continue with the repair.

Restart the computer when you are prompted and allow the computer to configure Microsoft Internet Explorer.

otubby1 09:25 12 May 03

Cheers VoG, I'll put it down as resolved and get back if it happens again :)

24seven 11:37 12 May 03

otuuby1

If you click on 'details' when the error mesage come up, does it mention anything about 'mshtml.dll' ? That's what I was getting after upgrading ;-? to ME and using IE6. I tried various repairs and attempted to replace corrupted .dll but to no effect. In the end I went back to win98 and have no problems with IE now.

otubby1 11:48 12 May 03

The last time it happened was just before I discovered this amazing forum and, although I have had a computer since the stone age, it has only been a tool so to speak and I never got into the coding, so I didn't think to look. I have tried a few utilities, but I tend to leave the system stuff to the experts.

Hey, I wish I could go back to windows 3.11.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…