EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault

Scott and Lil 09:47 24 May 03

Need advice re explorer problems.

After deleting files from add/remove in Windows 98, have encountered an error prompt that will not let me access the system. How do I repair or where do I go.

Error reads as follows

This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

If the problem persisits, contact the program vendor.
"EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in module EXPLORER.EXE at 017f;00401f31"
It then provides variousRegisters, describtes bytes at CS:EIP and outlines Stack dump:

This is my dads compter which he recieved as a gift. theres no software. Any suggestions or should I start buying my dad a new OS?

MartinT-B 12:13 24 May 03
  MartinT-B 12:14 24 May 03
  Scott and Lil 00:40 25 May 03

Thanks for your directions to this article.

Typed ren c:\explorer.exe explorer.old, and then pressed ENTER, in command prompt only mode and safe mode command prompt only mode, typing this in brings up the file not found error. Bugger.

I think maybe my next steps are taking it into a computer repair place, seeing what they can do with it. If they are unable to, getting Dad an early Chrissy present!

Switcher 01:03 25 May 03

I haven't read the click here but if you are trying to rename Explorer.exe you will find it in the windows folder therefor command is ren c:\windows\explorer.exe c:\windows\explorer.old

Scott and Lil 01:53 25 May 03

When I key in this, it spits out "invalid parameter - c:\windows\explorer.old" ?

hugh-265156 02:18 25 May 03
  Scott and Lil 02:37 25 May 03

Thanks guys, but no luck any way. It's just shitting me now and I rather just hand it over to someone else to fix. Thanks for your help.

Switcher 11:30 27 May 03

To rename Explorer.exe from DOS

ren c:\windows\explorer.exe explorer.old

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…