Explorer always opens a search box

twinklittlestar 06:43 29 Sep 09

My right click menu shows Search as the default which makes any folder i open brings up a search explorer window. Im having to right click every folder and choose open from list - which has Search as default. I know i can change this i just dont know how! Please help its annoying trying to rem. to right click so ive seen a lot of search windows!!

InTheCity 06:56 29 Sep 09

Explorer always opens a search box

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:36 29 Sep 09

Search instead of open folder

Torch instead of files appearing?

According to Microsoft, this behavior can occur when you open the Edit File Type dialog box for the Drive or File Folder registered file types.

Open a command prompt and typing the following:

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

press enter, close command prompt.

or

Microsoft acknowledges that this is a problem in Knowledge Base article #321379 and offers the following fix:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate and then click the Default value under the following keys in the registry if this problem occurs with folders:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
If this problem occurs with drives:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
3. Click Modify on the Edit menu.
4. Type none in the Value data box, and then click OK.
5. Quit Registry Editor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple