Explorer - address bar URL puzzle

shepherd 07:59 27 May 03

Until a couple of days ago I was able to type in, for example:
click here
- I now have to place httl:// before the web address to make it'work' (i.e. I have to type in the full URL). What has happened, please. I've checked IE 5.5 settings against 2 other PCs and I can see nothing particularly different in the settings.
Very fed up and frustrated - can anybody help?

^wave^ 09:53 27 May 03

try upgradeing to ie 6

^wave^ 09:55 27 May 03

or go to add/remove and remove ie 5.5 and take the repair action

shepherd 21:01 27 May 03

I have Windows 98 and Windows ME. Is upgrading to IE6 an option?

Also, I get three consecutive error messages (the same message)if I put a CD in the tray - saying disk cannot be 'found'. Pressing OK to each of the three messages then enables the disc to be read.

I think I deleted some entries in the Registry referring to 'IE Search .... " if my recollection is correct. I had been removing programs that had insinuated themselves on to my PC from the internet.

Patr100 21:19 27 May 03

You can try IE 6 with either ME or 98. It is not meant to be compatible with Win 95. However I found that IE 6 caused some problems on my 98se system (I have tried it and uninstalled it twice ) and have gone back to IE 5.5. But you may find it is fine as many do. Find it on a cover disk as downloading on 56k is not really an option due to it's size.

canard 21:39 27 May 03

IE6 went like a dream on my Win98 SE while the security and privacy options are much better than both IE5s.The only irritating feature can be removed via Tools- Internet options-Advanced-uncheck enable automatic image resizing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…