Explorer 5 and problems opening pages

James xp 12:25 23 Dec 03

Hi everyone. My friend has a problem with his machine. He can log onto his isp ok, But then everything stops. He is unable to open any pages or go anywhere. He is running W98 and is using explorer 5. We have changed the setting back to the factory defaults. but still no luck........Has anyone any ideas?

Thanks

Carol & Jim R

MAJ 14:25 23 Dec 03

Who is his ISP and is he using BroadBand or Dialup?

James xp 16:33 23 Dec 03

isp is freeserve and he is using a dial - up conection

beeuuem 16:41 23 Dec 03

Freeserve seem to be having some problems at the moment. For the last couple of days I can connect, but after sending and receiving a few Kb the server seems to stop responding.
The only solution I have found is to reconnect and this may have to be done several times before a good connection is established.

James xp 19:06 23 Dec 03

Hi beeuuem.........have tried over 20 times with freeserve and still getting the same problem. Have tried with a local one, Karoo......same problem. basic connection and then nothing.

Help

beeuuem 12:47 24 Dec 03

Do you have a firewall installed? If so check that IE is allowed access to the net.
Do you get a 404 message? eg unable to find page or similar.

James xp 17:03 24 Dec 03

Hi Beeuuem
There is no firewall installed, but he does get an unable to find page, page up. We have tried reloading modem driver, but no change there. We might try a complete operating system reinstall and see what that brings.........What do you think ?

thanks

Carol & Jim R

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…