Explain hard drive jargon please

Jayne doe 11:05 07 Jan 04

Hi Lads happy new year to you all. My computer is getting slow and has decided to not shut down unless I turn power off. Also Norton is not behaving itself properly so I decided to format the hard drive and start again but where to put the info I want to keep? I thought I would install a second hard drive, reinstall XP and swop the data over, then put the first as the second, if u no what I mean. So I went to Dabs and Novatech and looked for hard drives...and was baffled. My Op sys is Win XP pro about 2 years old now 2200 amd chip 1 gig DDR 333 ram. The HD in is a Seagate 80 gig. I would like to fit exactly the same if poss (so no errors) but what on earth is the difference between 7200, 7200.7, SATA, IDE, Ultra IDE,8.4 9.4 9.5 ms. Then there is A and AS after the code. All these are on seagate drives with 80 gig capacity. Can some kind person explain please and/or suggest which one I need to buy. Thanks. Jayne.

Big Elf 11:24 07 Jan 04

You need to fit an IDE drive as a 2 year old PC won't have a SATA connector.

7,200 refers the revolutions per minute and is considered fairly fast.

8.4 ms refers to the typical time it takes the heads on the disk to position themselves to start reading the data (access time).

Ultra indicates the connection between your PC and the disk is fast but in practice probably makes little difference.

Any IDE disk you buy should work with your PC.

alcudia 11:26 07 Jan 04

Your system probably won't be able to run with a SATA, so I would recommend a 7200 ATA 100.

In fact I've just bought three of these. Easy to set up with the Seagate DiscWizard which you download from their site, or in XP's Disc Management snap in.

It might be worth checking the buffer size, either 2mb or 8mb. The latter will be slightly faster, but cost more.

I didn't pay much attention to all the different specs you have noticed. Just went for size and buffer, and avoided SATA. It's too new.

Mysticnas 11:29 07 Jan 04

WEll 7200rpm is the revelutions per minute. This is how fast the disk spins around, basically the faster it spins the faster the drive. You can get 5400rpm, 7200rpm, and 10,000rpm.

Although you CAN get the 10,000rpm drives, they are a little expensive, and really for power/speed hungry users, generally some servers, and creativity application users who really need a fast drive. Western Digital are the only mainstream company i know that supply these very fast drives.

7200rpm however, is the taken as the typical fast drive that most people have.

SATA and ATA differentiate the way the drive is connected to the motherboard. ATA is the typical connection interface using those flat grey ribbon cables you've probably seen 100mb/sec. SATA cable transfer rates are theoretically faster 150mb/sec. I say theoretically, because i've not yet seen any ATA or SATA drive actually transfer at anywhere near those rates.

Those numbers 8.4, 9.4 and 9.5ms are the average seek times for the drives; the amount of time it takes to retrieve data.

I'm going to post again... brb

Mysticnas 11:34 07 Jan 04
  dth 11:36 07 Jan 04

you might be better simply making a copy of your data onto a CDR (or CDRs) and then wiping your hard drive, reinstalling windows and your program files and then copying your data back

Mysticnas 11:36 07 Jan 04

SATA is a fairly old technology. It's been around for ages.

Howver, it's only become mainstream in the past 2yrs.

Jayne doe 14:33 07 Jan 04

Thanks all for your advice
So if I buy an ATA Seagate 80 gig is it best to go for the 7200 2ms @ £53 or the 7200.7 8ms @£58? Whats the difference? Thanks

leo49 14:36 07 Jan 04

The slightly more expensive one has a 8mb as opposed to 2mb cache - in theory the 8mb should be slightly faster. I'd get the £58 one.

Mr.Scoobs 14:47 07 Jan 04

i have the western digital 10,000 rpm hdd, it is expensive( 86quid for 37gig!) but its worth it as i noticed the diference compared to my old hdd strait away. windows boots in no time atal.

Jayne doe 14:53 07 Jan 04

Planet micro.
80GB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200RPM IDE HDD ATA100 9.5ms £43.00 £50.53 inc vat

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7RPM 80GB 8Mb Cache Hard Drive 7,200rpm 8.5ms ATA 100. £50.52 inc vat

which one is best???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…