EXPERTS NEEDED!!! FOR MS DOS

InquisitorNik 16:30 10 Feb 03

I have lost my user passwords, with some very important files in, and I want to find my passwords in MS DOS, which is the only thing my computer will allow as I set up a program for this if this ever happened. I can find my user name, but not my passwords. Is there anyway i can thru MS DOS???

Sam Witch 17:23 10 Feb 03

You need a DOS text editor and know where the files are, and what the file names are in 8.3, if they are encrypted -no chance, otherwise use the edit command before the file name, the file will be opened in a new window, search it and you will find ..... ahhh takes me back to DOS

woodchip 19:33 10 Feb 03

Go to dos type at C:\>windows regedit then go to menu type password in the Find box and search you will have to press F3 to go to next reference. PS I just hope that works for you

woodchip 20:02 10 Feb 03

Sorry but it will not work as above. There is another way but I will not tell you as it is even more complex. you best bet is format and reinstall

woodchip 20:04 10 Feb 03

The file entry is in the registry but it's too complex in Dos

InquisitorNik 21:12 10 Feb 03

woodchip, please tell, as i will try at least 2 figure it out. thanx

Hitman codename 47 21:56 10 Feb 03

to find passwords bring up the msdos prompt and enter

dir *.pwl

so it looks like

c:\dir *.pwl

at the windows directory to find your pwl files.

to delete the files type

del c:example.pwl

or whatever the file is called

Find the ones that are wanted and open them or delete them. It should allow you to then give a new one when you open the document or whatever u r trying to open.

Try it on a seperate new file first to be on the safe side.

woodchip 22:49 10 Feb 03

At Dos prompt type edit, you can then scroll down to regedit click open, you need to search for winlogon, your password should be under the settings. YOU HAVE TO USE ALT AND FIRST LETTER TO NAVIGATE plus Tab key

woodchip 23:04 10 Feb 03

if you run "edit" it is a Dos program and you can search etc if you know how,. With keyboard

woodchip 23:15 10 Feb 03

My apologies in that you do have to know how and what to look for I did say it was not easy.

DieSse 00:50 11 Feb 03

As passwords are held encrypted, it strikes me you could never find them by searching, as you don't know what to search for. And if you did know what to search for, then you wouldn't have forgotten your passwords??

Why can't you look in Windows, using something like password revealer

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…