Expert advice needed, re: cpu upgrade on older AMD

The Rep 01:28 08 Jun 03

Hello,
I am interested in upgrading the cpu on my Socket A LEX BN780 Pro Mother board.
Currently 800Mhz Tbird.

Please can someone advise me on fastest athlon cpu available/compatible with this board.

Many thanks for reading this thread!

jazzypop 01:40 08 Jun 03

Sorry, can't find a definitive answer, but a phone call / email to their UK distributors should help - see click here

The Rep 01:47 08 Jun 03

Thanks for that Jazzypop.
I have sent an email to the suppliers so hopefully they will help.

If anyone else can offer advise, it would be very welcome.

Diemmess 10:37 08 Jun 03

Having done that - Tee shirt - etc it is likely possible allied with a BIOS upgrade, but you are at the extreme edge of the sensible... and may find that the upgrade isn't cost effective, because of the other bottlenecks, and now dated technology of the motherboard and even your RAM.

Rayuk 11:25 08 Jun 03

1.4Ghz 100fsb is limit according to this
click here

Rayuk 11:27 08 Jun 03

Sorry its giving home page if you trawl through to motherboard bios downloads for your board there is a link at the bottom for cpu support.

The Rep 17:59 08 Jun 03

thanks guys, your efforts are appreciated.
I will certainly buy a 1.4Ghz chip and fan.

One problem though anyone know of a reliable stockist?

The Rep 00:55 09 Jun 03

also, can anyone tell me whether putting a 266mhz fsb processor on this board would result in: A. Dead computer OR B. a 266mhz FSB chip just running at 200Mhz FSB?

ardvarc 07:25 09 Jun 03

I have a Athlon 1300 200FSB and a cooler stored away if it is any use. Free to a good home. This has bump started my brain into thinking again.

ardvarc 08:33 09 Jun 03

This CPU has done quite a bit of running time. 24/7 for a year or so then on a system for my grandson. I built him a new XP CPU based system and the old one has been stored away since. I also have to go for a operation today and will be away for about a week but if anyone wants it one of my family can see to it. I hope it's not like it's owner - clapped out ;-)

The Rep 13:31 09 Jun 03

Ardvarc I hope your operation is not too serious and that you will soon be well again.
Thankyou for your very kind offer, if the chip is still available then I would definitely like it.

I have sent you an email aswell.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…