expensive con beware

johnnyrocker 12:30 02 Dec 03

i sent this to colleagues at work and to date three of them along with myself have had the same call but fortunately had been warned.

johnny.

i got one of these calls the other night and fortunately hung up on it.
cheers.
This is from the Thames Valley police and faxed to me via neighbourhood watch.

" On answering your phone a recorded message as follows 'Congratulations. We are calling to advise you that you have won an all expenses paid trip to an exotic desdination. Now please press 9 to hear further details'
WARNING if you do press 9 you will be connected to a premium rate line that bills in the region of £20 per minute.

If you press 9 and connect, even if you disconnect immediatly, the other end will stay connected for a minimum of 5 minutes. This will cost you £100 and lasts for 11 minutes.

The final part of the call asks you to key in your postcode (eh?), house number which can lead to other serious consequences. Then after a further 2 minutes the call responds with a message saying 'sorry, you are not one of the lucky winners'. Thereafter disconnecting you adding another £260.00 to your bill.

Unfortunately the calls are originating from outside the UK and BT and other telephone companies are relativly powerless to act. The safe solution is to hang up before the mssage asks you to press 9"

johnnyrocker 12:50 02 Dec 03

anyone had a call?

johnny.

canard 12:56 02 Dec 03
  plsndrs3 13:27 02 Dec 03

Why would the Police be involved if there is no law broken and why haven't I heard of this or - in my extensive personal and professional contact with people - know of someone who has been affected? Or even know of someone whos has been told by a friend that this happened to a mete of theirs?

Is this an Urban Legend?

Paul

siouxah1 13:33 02 Dec 03

Yes twice within the last couple of months. Hung up on both occasions working on the old maxim that you don't get something for nothing. East Anglian area.

Brian j

plsndrs3 13:33 02 Dec 03

mete? mate!

tenplus1 13:34 02 Dec 03

I had a similar call last week where the recorded message said congratulations and hearing that I just hung up the phone...

Urban Myth, johnny. You cannot convert an incoming call into an outgoing one unless you have Three-Way Calling. Then you press R. Even then, the called party cannot hold the connection if you hang up.

Having said that, it is of course possible to record such a message and play it to a number you have dialled.

smegs 14:25 02 Dec 03

johnnyrocker. Thanks for the Info. I'm head of N/Hood Watch down R street. I've had No police/n-hood watch, contacting me with this Info.

johnnyrocker 14:35 02 Dec 03

sorry [email protected]@m not a myth, if one remembers police getting involved in a similar scam some years ago where the public were being called by people purporting to work for ntl or any such cable companies and were checking (allegedly) line quality with a view to allegedly installing in the area, the same idea of pressing 9 gave the fraudsters access to dial ups all over.

johnny.

Salinger 14:41 02 Dec 03

I remember seeing Police warning posters (couple of months ago, maybe even longer) Prison Inmates would call your number and ask you to press 9, if you did they had access to your line and could call any number they liked, using YOUR line and you would get the bill.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…