expanding virtual memory

Paul2008 20:51 10 Nov 07

Hi!
I running an Athlon 2800 with 1GB RAM and 80GB HDD and would like to try expanding the Virtual Memory which at present is set to Windows default = x1.5
What size would be a good setting for the memory?
Thanks
Paul2008

SANTOS7 21:11 10 Nov 07

Try setting diferent values (1.5gigs memory) mine are set at 2.500 for both upper and lower values, my swap file is also on a diferent partition to my C:/ drive.
Having said that there are strong arguments for and against default and custom settings in this department, and what evre you choose you will not see any discerning change in preformance.
Why do i have mine set as such, Purely personal choice...

woodchip 21:13 10 Nov 07

Why? it will not make your computer run faster. If anything it will slow it down

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:14 10 Nov 07

Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Rght click MY Computer - select propeties - Advanced tab - Performance - advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a differnt drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory = set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the PC to crash (restart).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…