Expanding a home network to include new laptop

Bill-224428 19:24 02 Sep 03

I currently have a bt openworld broadband connection through a Thompson SpeedTouch 330 external modem, which is connected to my main (Desktop)PC by USB. The broadband connection is shared with a second desktop PC by means of a cross-over (RJ45)? cable and this works fine.
However I've recently bought a new laptop and want to comnnect this to the network, preferably usinf a wireless link.
Does anyone know if I can do this using my existing modem with a wireless router and wireless PC card, or will I have to write off the modem and buy a combined wireless router and modem. I'm reluctant to do this as my modem is only 3 months old. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated>

wiznyme 19:29 02 Sep 03

Don't need to dump the ADSL modem, as long as the distances aren't to great all you need are a wireless access point for both the PC with the broadband connection and the laptop.

Both need to be set to Ad-Hoc mode, not as secure as infrastructre mode but good enough for a networking

Bill-224428 01:09 03 Sep 03

Many thanks. Any particular manufacturer better than the rest?

wiznyme 18:51 03 Sep 03

I'm using Belkin USB adapter's, DAB's sell them as a pair.

Took a while to set up but once I got it working they're no problem

Bill-224428 23:25 03 Sep 03

Many thanks. I'll check them out, though you worry me slightly when you say you'd problems setting them up - I had a nightmare when I first networked my 2 desktop machines, trying to get my second PC to 'see' BT broadband connection.

BT weren't much help either, telling me that their connection/modem couldn't be shared between PCs. A cynical ploy to get home users to upgrade unnecessarily to Business Broadband perhaps?

Thanks again

fitshase 09:48 04 Sep 03

You could go for a wireless router. However, you would need to connect the modem to the router by means of a network cable (RJ45) and not USB.

If you can connect it with a network cable then I would definitely go for the router. This way, any computer can use the broadband without the main desktop machine (the one currently connected to the modem) being switched on.

Also, this would mean that every computer could "see" the others making sharing files even easier.

All you would need to do is plug the modem into the router, plug both desktops into the router and then slot a wireless PCMCIA card into the laptop. Job done.

Regards

Fitshase

Bill-224428 18:55 04 Sep 03

Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately it's not an option for me, as the Speedtouch modem I have is USB only.
Cheers

muppetmark 19:10 04 Sep 03

click here might this be of use ?

Bill-224428 00:35 05 Sep 03

Many thanks for the suggestion - I checked out the Draytak site you suggested. Your right, it definitely supports USB modem connection, but the downsides are that I'd still have to buy a separate hub (according to the diagram on the site anyway)which would probably cancel out the savings I'd achieve by being able to retain my current modem and the router itself is quite expensive. Also - according to the PC Advisor archive which did a review of this and some other Routers in June - it can be quite complicated to set up, which I don't feel confident about.
For these reasons I think I'll probably opt for the solution wiznyme suggested.

Thanks again

wiznyme 18:42 05 Sep 03

This is the set I bought from Dab's

click here

2 802.11b adapters for £54.99. If you have problems setting it up let me know may be the same one's that I had.

Forum Editor 18:51 05 Sep 03

to set up a shared connection for a client a few days ago. It was pretty easy to set up, and worked perfectly. The important thing with USB adapters is to install the software before you connect the adapters, so Windows will have no problem finding the right driver when you plug in the adapter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…