Expanding C partition - recovery patition in the way.

john bunyan 08:16 11 Apr 14

A young relative has a laptop with C partition of 100 Gig (System, programmes) a recovery partition (unallocated with a letter) to its right, and a F (data) partition on the right. We would like to increase the C partition a bit. We Have Easus Partition manager. The problem is the recovery partition, somehow, is between the C and F ones, so the usual method is not possible. Short of deleting the recovery partition, is there a way to solve this (maybe moving the recovery partition to the far right. If that is achieved, how does one "tell" the PC what to do to implement the recovery option (pressing F11 or whatever). Maybe the only way is to make an ATI clone on an external drive and delete the recovery, but we are a bit loathe to do that.

john bunyan 08:18 11 Apr 14

patition = partition in header!

northumbria61 11:01 11 Apr 14

John - Take a look at MiniTool Partition Wizard (Home Edition FREE)

Look under the heading Common Partition Operations down left side of page for instructions on how to use. It is one of the easiest programs to use.

MiniTool Partition Wizard

BRYNIT 11:28 11 Apr 14

If you change the partition size it may prevent you using the recovery options from F11.

Why do you need to change the partition size? 100gb is big enough for most people even with the extra programs and restore files I haven't used 50GB.

How big is the hard drive? You say the C partition is 100gb but you do not say how big the F drive is?

Deleting programs that are not used can free up space.

Moving doc's, pictures and videos to the F partition will also free more up space.

If this laptop is used for school, college or work keeping a backup of documents etc will prevent problems if the HD fails or the file becomes corrupt.

Jollyjohn 11:36 11 Apr 14

With your partition manger program first shrink F, by the amount you want to increase C:, and make sure it is as far to the right as possible.

Move the recovery partition partition to the right

and then increase the size of C: to fill the gap.

May take a while to complete but will work. When Windows restarts it may run a disc check, allow it and then it may ask to reboot, this is normaal.

john bunyan 00:19 12 Apr 14

Jollyjohn

Your first paragraph is ok, but how to move the recovery partition? It currently sits between C and F.

BRYNIT

With W 7 and other programmes, 70 gig is common. I have moved hy Outlook e mails to the data partition, and also all data. The User folder is quite large, as are the pagefile.sys and the hiberfile.sys and the system volume information. The F partition is 386 gig. I find it easier to make mirror image copies of the data partition with Freefilesynch (far quicker than an image) and to make ATI images of the C Drive, both on a USB drive.

re you using W7? That alone is about 30 odd Gig.

BRYNIT 08:19 12 Apr 14

I use a 120GB SSD drive with windows 7, Office 2007, two large graphics programs and various other programs I really use. Total used space including system restore is 44.7GB.

The only difference between my original set up and now is that I migrated the OS from a 140GB partition on a 500GB hard drive to the 120GB SSD drive. I still keep my documents a selection of music and some videos on a 160GB partition of my original drive all other files are kept on an external drive.

If you have 70Gb of used space just for programs I would say you may have programs install that you may not even use especially trial programs that may have come with the laptop.

john bunyan 09:37 12 Apr 14

BRYNIT

Later, I will come back with results of a "treesize" on my C drive, for interest.

Jollyjohn 10:55 12 Apr 14

Your partition software will have a button labelled resize/move or similar and you just drag the recovery partition to the right.

Apologies for the delay in replying, I work a night shift!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant