.exe problems

MIKE. 10:31 24 Nov 09

I have a problem on my Vista home PC if I try to download or save a programe with a .exe extension it seems to get blocked. Two progs for example that seem to causing me grief are Mcafee and AVG. I know I can rename the files before saving but is there a way of downloading normaly. Many thanks

babybell 12:47 24 Nov 09

What error message are you seeing when you download the files in question?

Woolwell 13:18 24 Nov 09

You shouldn't have AVG and McAfee on the same system. Both are anti-virus and will conflict.

MIKE. 14:11 24 Nov 09

Thanks babybell there was no error messages. When I downloaded the file it gave the option to RUN or SAVE but neither worked. When I downloaded the programe this morning and was given the option to SAVE, I changed the file extension to *.exd and it then saved itself in the chosen folder. I then renamed the file again to *.exe and then run the programe as it should all ok. It seems to me windows on this PC does not allow .exe files to download.

MIKE. 14:12 24 Nov 09

I take onboard what you say Woolwell and thanks.

Woolwell 14:27 24 Nov 09

What anti-virus do you have? It is possible that it is preventing you downloading exe files.

User-1229748 14:40 24 Nov 09

are you using the vista firewall as when i used it some times when i went to save or run the box would just disappear.it was when i had no anti virus running.

MIKE. 14:43 24 Nov 09

I had a old version of AVG 8.5 which crashed while trying to uninstal. I had to go to the AVG site to use their unistal tool. This uninstal tool was an .exe file which is where I found the problems seemed to start.

MIKE. 16:23 24 Nov 09

Yes smackheadz thats what it appears to do. When I am get home I will try and switch off Vista firewall.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…