.exe problem

The Teacher 15:23 22 Dec 04

I have a number of .exe files asking for permission to access the internet via Zone Alarm Pro.

These files are located in C/Windows/prefetch. I have no idea what these programmes are or what prefetch is.

Is it something that I can safely remove. I am loath to allow access to the internet for programmes that I do not know.

I run XP Pro, and I am new to XP as this is an updated PC from WinME.

Thanks

The Teacher

Diodorus Siculus 16:37 22 Dec 04

TweakXP.com - Clean your prefetch to improve performance.
click here

[quote]This is an unique technique for WinXP. We know that it is necessary to wash registry and TEMP files for Win9X/ME/2000 periodly. Prefetch is a new and very useful technique in Windows XP. However, after using XP some time, the prefetch folder can get full of rarely used or obsolete links which can slow down your computer noticeably. My suggestion is: open C(system drive):/windows/prefetch, delete all files (or at least those more than 3 weeks old), reboot. I recommended that you do this every month.[/quote]

The Reappearing Prefetch Folder
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:48 22 Dec 04

CCleaner will do it for you aswell as clear out all the other junk clogging and slowing your system
Temporary File Cleaners:-
Crap Cleaner click here

VoG II 17:20 22 Dec 04

Prefetch Clean and Control click here

The Teacher 22:20 22 Dec 04

Ta for advise. I will look into cleaning prefetch. What I don't understand though is what the .exe programmes are that are asking for net access. They are not named as such, but rather coded, for instance j24.exe. I have no idea what these are or what they refer to. Properties tells me that they open with an unkown application. I would say that they are in fact viruses but Norton tells me all is well.

I don't want to allow access to what could be a virus or spyware nor do I want to delete files that could be vital to my system.

Any ideas?

Ta

The Teacher

VoG II 22:24 22 Dec 04

I suggest that you run acans with Ad-aware click here Spybot click here CWShredder click here and a² click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…