.exe files won't open

darrenaj 20:39 24 Apr 10

I am running Vista. Had a problem yesterday with virus that AVG found and "cleared". Since then exe files wont open. I get a "application not found" message or "open with" question. I have tried cmd prompt and running regedit but I get the same message. I have also tried sfae mode and system restore. Internet explorer works though. I am not a complete novice and have tried following other solutions, but none work. Please help.

Nuula 20:50 24 Apr 10

I had a similar problem, not sure what it was (virus more than likley), try rightclicking on the .exe, for me a new option as 'run' was in the right click menu, this made the exe's work ( you have to do that every time though)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:55 24 Apr 10
  darrenaj 21:02 24 Apr 10

Fruit Bat, tried that and everything starts to work until I click run and I get a windows message saying windows does not recognise this file type and do I wnat to search the web to try to find a solution.

darrenaj 21:42 24 Apr 10

Fruit Bat, tried that and everything starts to work until I click run and I get a windows message saying windows does not recognise this file type and do I wnat to search the web to try to find a solution

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:00 24 Apr 10

Unzip the fix and extract the .REG file to the Desktop. Right-click the REG file and choose Merge. Note that you need to be an administrator to apply these fixes.

Ian in Northampton 18:07 25 Apr 10

This was a symptom of a virus I got infected with and I couldn't find a fix to it. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I ended up doing a complete fresh reinstall...

darrenaj 14:47 26 Apr 10

Thanks for all your help. Fruit Bat got it to work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…