.exe files won't open

darrenaj 20:39 24 Apr 10

I am running Vista. Had a problem yesterday with virus that AVG found and "cleared". Since then exe files wont open. I get a "application not found" message or "open with" question. I have tried cmd prompt and running regedit but I get the same message. I have also tried sfae mode and system restore. Internet explorer works though. I am not a complete novice and have tried following other solutions, but none work. Please help.

Nuula 20:50 24 Apr 10

I had a similar problem, not sure what it was (virus more than likley), try rightclicking on the .exe, for me a new option as 'run' was in the right click menu, this made the exe's work ( you have to do that every time though)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:55 24 Apr 10
  darrenaj 21:02 24 Apr 10

Fruit Bat, tried that and everything starts to work until I click run and I get a windows message saying windows does not recognise this file type and do I wnat to search the web to try to find a solution.

darrenaj 21:42 24 Apr 10

Fruit Bat, tried that and everything starts to work until I click run and I get a windows message saying windows does not recognise this file type and do I wnat to search the web to try to find a solution

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:00 24 Apr 10

Unzip the fix and extract the .REG file to the Desktop. Right-click the REG file and choose Merge. Note that you need to be an administrator to apply these fixes.

Ian in Northampton 18:07 25 Apr 10

This was a symptom of a virus I got infected with and I couldn't find a fix to it. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I ended up doing a complete fresh reinstall...

darrenaj 14:47 26 Apr 10

Thanks for all your help. Fruit Bat got it to work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos