EXE files try to open with explorer

tobyb121 21:07 30 Sep 07

I am not sure how it actually started, but I was trying to open a program which was an exe and the open with box popped up, I wasn't sure what to open it with so I chose explorer, as this seemed the logical choice from the list, but it turns out this isn't right, and it now makes my computer freeze whenever i try to open a program,as all exe files seem to be asociated to explorer, so I can't open anything, I can open programs by clicking on a file that is associated to that program, i.e. I can open word by opening a word document, but apart from that there is no other way of opening a program, I have tried right clicking on the exe files, but they have no open with option, and the default programs option in the control panel doesn't list exe files. I was wondering if there is a registry value that needs changing, even though I can't open regedit, that would allow me to fix this, or do I need to repair/reinstall windows
thanks tobyb

woodchip 21:12 30 Sep 07

You do not associate exe file’s with anything they are self running. You need to remove the association

tobyb121 21:29 30 Sep 07

Thats the problem, for some reason my computer asked me what to open it with, and I stupidly told it to open with explorer, so now they all try to open with explorer, which is causing various problems.

woodchip 21:31 30 Sep 07

You should be able to remove it. Are you XP Vista or what

skidzy 21:34 30 Sep 07

Hi Woody

Think Toby should use system Restore from safemode.

tobyb121 21:35 30 Sep 07

vista, I have found a registry fix, it is for xp, but its worth a try

woodchip 21:38 30 Sep 07

Try this press Windows key plus E. then go to menu\Tools\Folder Options\File Types. then press restore Defaults

Hi there skidzy, Been out all day

tobyb121 21:52 30 Sep 07

Thanks so much for your help, I have just found a set of registry fixes for vista, which have now got it working again, click here if anyone else has this problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now