Excluding RAID/SATA in setup....?

Dutch 20:50 16 Nov 04

Hi folks - sorry if this is the winner of this month's daft question award ;-) but can someone give me some advice before I spend my cash?

I want to upgrade my system to a P4 3Gig using an Abit IC7 motherboard, for video editing as well as taking advantage of the HT. The thing is, I want to still use my 2 120Gig ATA drives for the moment at least (as well as the DVD burner and CD Rom). I also don't need/want to use RAID at the moment and would rather not as I'm dual booting.

Can I disable the RAID and SATA functions and use the motherboard with the older ATA devices? I've had a look at the user guide and it seems so, but I'd like to get a second opinion before I waste my money!

I can upgrade later......?

Thanks for any advice.

D

vinnyT 11:53 17 Nov 04

OK, if the board has 2 parallel ide interfaces (p.a.t.a), I say 2 because you will need a connection for cd/dvd-rom, then yes you can use your existing drives.

In the bios there will be a section for selecting bootup sequence a:, c: etc. For scsi just select none.

This info is generic and should be taken as such, I have no particular experience with this board, but most mobos opperate along the same lines.

Yes you will be able to upgrade to raid/sata in the future, if you ment upgrade other parts, that depends on how far in the future and availability of parts.

Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…