Exclude specific folders on roaming profile

sam1981 16:13 05 Jan 04

Does anyone know how to exclude specific directories from your roaming profile in group policy editor?

I've fond this page: click here

Quote:
Exclude large folders from the roaming profile. By default large folders such as Local Settings, Temp and Temporary Internet Files folders do not roam. You can use the "Exclude directories in roaming profile" Group Policy Setting to add new folders to the exclusion list; once included in the policy these folders will not be copied to the local machine at logon, nor copied back to the server at logoff.

I cannot find this setting on group policy editor myself... (I am using a 2003 domain).

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

xplogos 16:52 05 Jan 04

In the root of a users profile (normally C:\documents and settings\USERNAME\ is a file called ntuser.ini. Mine has a section that reads:

[General]
ExclusionList=Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook;Temporary Internet Files;Cookies;History;Personal;Recent

Looks like this may do what you need, just add a folder to be excluded in...

I've not tried this myself so let me know if it works.

Thanks,
JamesB

sam1981 17:14 05 Jan 04

Cheers for the reply James.

Didn't work for me though. I added in the path that I wanted to exclude relative to the ntuser.ini file itself (as all the other paths were document relative too) on my local machine, but it still attempted to copy the directory over.

xplogos 08:31 06 Jan 04

Hmmm...

Found this on the Microsoft site - not sure if it's what you've already tried or not...

click here

It's titled "HOW TO: Prevent Folders from Roaming with a Profile in Windows 2000" so it sounds like it fits the bill.

James

sam1981 10:23 06 Jan 04

The link you sent wasn't quite right for my query (it was for 2000 server), but it led me in the right direction and I just found the 2003 equivalent: click here;en-us;814592&Product=winsvr2003

Works perfectly.

Thanks again,
Sam

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…