Excited Android

Paranoid Android 20:02 10 Apr 03

As you all know I am a total computer nut, and PC Advisor is not the only mag I get. So with apologies to FE and the gang (sorry), I just gotta tell you about this.

This months PC Plus coverdisk has a free copy of Acronis TrueImage Deluxe, a hard drive imaging proggy that works in Windows (including Windows 2000 and Windows XP). Yes you heard me right, no need for a boot disk.

I feel justified in posting this because, as those who know me will know, I am the world's greatest advocate of regular backups, and this program is a whizz. It slashed my backup image time to a quarter (12 minutes for 6 Gigs HDD image) and it can burn to CDs too.

So all you non-backed-up people no longer have any excuse. Get it now !

Suitably impressed

Goldcroft 20:07 10 Apr 03

Thanks for the info. I had decided to ration myself to one mag: PCA, but now it looks as though I will be forced to buy one edition (note forum editor: only one) of another. I take it that it is a full copy Marvin and not one of those trial versions?

Patr100 20:28 10 Apr 03

Thanks Marvin. It's so easy to miss what's on all the cover disks and that looks useful. Having found the well reviewed Retrospective Express to be virtually un-useable in my experience , I am always looking for a simple decent low cost back so will take a closer look.

Paranoid Android 20:39 10 Apr 03

Yup. Full version, although it obviously prompts you to upgrade, it isn't necessary. You need to register on their website to get a reg number emailed to you.

Very simple interface :

- Create disk image

- Restore disk image

- Restore individual files from disk image

You can create a bootable CD or floppy disk set to start your PC. I tried it and the emergency startup interface was very impressive, and immediately found my backup image.

I am a fan already.

STEVE71163 20:51 10 Apr 03

I got the magazine today and i have got to say this is the best £5.99 i have spent recently. I have just copied about 4 gig to about 3 cdrs + one as a bootable disc. I did find that i did need to do a driver update from their site (Free) after i had installed.

STEVE71163 20:59 10 Apr 03

Paranoid Android. Did i not need to make a bootable disc?

flecc 21:09 10 Apr 03

If you ever really want to speed that backup though, HyperOS will handle that 6 gigs in under three minutes, restore the same.

leo49 21:10 10 Apr 03

Surely as a self-confessed anal-retentive you've already got Drive Image? :o)

[Good for those poor souls who haven't,though]

Paranoid Android 22:25 10 Apr 03

Drive Image (at least the one I've got) needs a boot disk for XP, this proggy runs from within Windows. It only needs a boot disk for emergency recovery.

I've always used Ghost but now I'm converted.

Flecc - insufficient readies for HyperOS I'm afraid :(

leo49 22:44 10 Apr 03

Drive Image 2002 doesn't need a boot disc for normal usage - you must have an old version.

Glyn-252301 00:23 11 Apr 03

I'm suitable impressed, have been looking to update from WinOnCD's BackMeUp.
Many thanks G.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…