//some 3rd party need geo

exchanging Freeserve for NTL dial up help please

bof:) 21:57 12 Dec 03

Hi All,

A friend has just bought a Toshiba SA30203 PENTIUM 4 laptop, XP He.

It is setup to connect to the internet via 'Freeserve 56k dialup' but my friend uses NTL dial up to connect her current (Win ME) pc to the internet.

So could you please answer the following questions:

1. how do you get rid of all of the 'Freeserve settings in XP?

2. Can I then just put her NTL installation disk (the 1 used to set up NTL on her win ME PC) and run it to install the NTL 56K dial up settings onto her laptop?

3. if not what are the settings required for NTL 56k dial up ?

4. Can she just connect to the phone line using either the laptop or the PC depending upon which 1 she needs to use at the time?

5. or do they have to be 'daisy-chained'... the laptop being connected to the ME PC first and then into the internet?

Many thanks for you help,

Mike

bof:) 23:06 12 Dec 03

bump

woodchip 23:11 12 Dec 03

Check Mail

smegs 23:13 12 Dec 03

bof:), first thing I would do is format the hard drive & reinstall Xp. I'm taking it, it's second hand. I have found in the past, Freeserve a pain to get rid of. When U have reinstall Xp, you will then be able to install NTL. But I think she will only be able to use the laptop at the place where the telephone number is her home number.

bof:) 22:13 15 Dec 03

woodchip and smegs, many thanks for your replies,

It seems now that my friend wishes to investgate more into costs etc before she decides what she wants to do with her laptop. All seems to be on hold until after Xmas.

Thankyou both,

Mike

Giggle n' Bits 01:39 16 Dec 03

if its listed in the Add/remove programmes just uninstall the Freeserve stuff in there. Delete if out of the menues if there are any thing for Freeserve like Help, connection kit etc. Restart PC after.

Stick the Ntl CD in the drive and follow the on screen prompts.

Ntl home page will give your there Email settings or a call to there tech people as the Ntl settings are a bit different than Freeserve.

Freeserve Broadband is user friendly and easy to set up but wihth know BT line I think that would be a problem.

Art 216 09:32 16 Dec 03

Format and reinstall !!!!!

You must be joking !!

Merry Xmas to you All.

Cheers de Art.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…