Exchange Server 2003 - Windows SBS 2003

O'D 22:12 26 Feb 06

Hi,

ok iv been asked to set a server, thats the ok bit, they want Exchange Server which is already included with SBS which they have bought, but the problem is im a bit unsure of exchange, How do i set it up??? do i have to buy a domain name??? how do i do that??? and if so, how do i incorperate the domain name iv bought into exchange?

any suggestions?

much appreciated

recap 09:36 27 Feb 06
  mr_gixerwig 00:13 01 Mar 06

Does the customer already have an email account & domain name ? If they do and it they receive their mail via POP3 mail, you can configure echange to collect the mail and distribute to relevant users.

O'D 12:03 01 Mar 06

thanks for the responses

no they dont have a domain name yet, they are goin to purchase one, but then wwhat do i do to incorperate it into Exchange

mr_gixerwig 16:52 17 Mar 06

What sort of intetnet connection does your client have ? if they have Broadband with a fixed IP address you can set up your domain to send your mail direct to the exchange server and all mail will be routed by exchange. If you do not have a fixed IP address then you need to set up a POP3 mail box with you ISP. Then you need to configure the POP3 connector in exchange to retriev the email from your ISP. You can then set up routing rules to ensure the correct users get the mail that is intended fro them.

O'D 22:57 17 Mar 06

thanks gettin there!!

yea the client has an NTL Account that goes through there TV/CABLE setup, and the Cable box is a mini dhcp server - think! but i can see what your getting at.

so they have an account with there ISP, so now do they need to buy an domain and notify the ISP?? what happens next?

i appreciate the support

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…