Excessive RAM utilisation?

Drpeter 10:01 15 Jan 03
  Drpeter 10:01 15 Jan 03

My processor is an AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+, running on Windows 98SE and I am on Broadband. Internet Express v6, Outlook Express v6 and MSN Messenger v5, Norton AV and ZoneAlarm are running permanently, by which time I am advised by msinfo32, that only 25% of my 512MB RAM is free. I do have a few other, small programs running, but their total is only some 50MB. I do NOT run Microsoft Fast Find and do not play games! I have tried FreeRAM, which confirms the amount of free RAM.
Most of the simple RAM management programs, like FreeRAM and FreeMem Pro appear to promise better RAM management, but do not identify the offending programs. Can anyone confirm that the amount of RAM used appears to be excessive and how I can find where the problem lies?

muppetmark 10:18 15 Jan 03

click here for taskinfo which may help to see which programs are taking up so much memory.

giimgiim 12:42 15 Jan 03

Hello,

The RAM is there to be used. Are you experiencing any problems due to the "excessive RAM utilisation? If not dont worry about it.BTW those memory managers use memory to run!

If you are experiencing "Out of Memory messages" have a look click here;en-us;q253912 .

On the other hand managing resources can be an issue in W98(and other 9X os) have a look click here and click here for some good info and links to some software which may help.

Jim.

giimgiim 12:45 15 Jan 03

Sorry I forgot this site doesnt like links to Microsoft Knowledge Base articles.

http:// support.microsoft .com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q253912

Copy and paste into the address bar then remove the spaces

Drpeter 14:33 15 Jan 03

Hello all!
Many thanks for your help. Some of the sources mentioned were known to me, but still very useful. My problem occurred when I only had 265MB RAM and was told by WORD that I did not have enough memory to alter a title font to 16 from 12 point - at which time I had only 3% RAM free!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…