excelstor hard drive installation problem

hel333 20:14 26 Sep 03

I've just fitted a 40GB excelstor HD in my Dell Dimension xps T700r, previously running windows 98. Dell diagnostics CD correctly identifies the disk, but I can't get any further as no C:\ drive is recognised when I try to run anything else. Excelstor don't seem to offer any real help. I don't know how to set it up to be able to load windows 98 and use the damn thing. It is the master, I have removed the faulty old drive. Annoyingly all the customer reviews on ebuyer praised its ease of setting up! which is why I chose this make that I've never previously heard of. Help???

PªūĽ ? ♂ 20:23 26 Sep 03

You will have to format it first, If you wish you can also partiton it using the fdisk command.

phono 20:24 26 Sep 03

I hope I am not stating the obvious or insulting tou here, but have you used fdisk to prepare the drive for formatting etc?

I have used a couple of the excelstor drives now without any problems so far, touch wood.

Regards,

TD

phono 20:25 26 Sep 03

Oops, I obviously don't type quickly enough.

TD

hel333 20:39 26 Sep 03

OK, I only get to install a new hd every 3 years or so! So do I use the windows 98 Boot disk to format the drive - That and the Dell diagnostics programme are the only thing I can get to work. can you direct me to an idiots guide?
many thanks for any help.
My brain hurts.
Hel333

Quiller. 20:43 26 Sep 03

This thread should tell you all you want to know.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…