Excel XP Subtotaling Problem

PTB007 09:54 17 Sep 03

Dear All,

When I have a few excel sheets open and I try to subtotal one of them, on occasions excel seems to freeze up and become non responsive. When I exit excel and save changes to my sheet I find the subtotals have been added anyway.
The easiest way to replicate the problem is to open a worksheet, enter any value an cell A1,save as book1.xls, then open a new workbook and link to that one cell in book1, save this new workbook as book2.xls and close both sheets. Now open a third workbook, An Cells A1:A2 enter the value "A", in A3:A4 enter the value "B" and in A5:A6 enter the value "C", then in column B enter random values relating to those references. Now close the worksheet and excel saving the third workbook as book3.xls.
Finally open excel first and set calculation to manual, then open book 2 and book 3 together, select book 3 and the do subtotals, at each change in A, Use function Sum and add to B.

Any help would be appreciated.

VoG II 18:33 17 Sep 03

When it seems to freeze, press ESC.

PTB007 21:42 17 Sep 03

Escape doesn't work, you have to close excel.

VoG II 22:02 17 Sep 03

If it is Excel 2000 or 2002 (XP) try Help/Detect and repair.

PTB007 22:23 18 Sep 03

Still no joy, have tried on different pc's with the same problem, have also applied the latest patches and Microsoft say they cannot replicate the problem!

PTB007 08:54 27 May 04

Never was able to resolve problem, found some 'workarounds' though. By switching to 'Full screen' and then back Excel reverted to normal. Another way was to change the calculation from auto to manual and vice verca.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…