Excel XP problem

black bart 08:58 14 Feb 05

Hi. I have a problem that has recently started in Excel, in as much as it will not allow me to open an Excel file by a 'double click' anymore. Excel itself works OK, and it will open the files using the icon of menu entry, but only opens the program with a grey blank area, if a double click is used. All other Office programs still operate as usual, it has only affected Excel.
I have scanned for Spyware and Virus's ( both are up to date with the latest signatures.
I have uninstalled, powered down and then reinstalled Office XP.
I think a .dll is corrupt, but don't want to do a complete reinstall of Windows XP SP2, if I can help it.
Help, please.

Diodorus Siculus 09:02 14 Feb 05

Have you tried "detect and repair"?

Simsy 09:03 14 Feb 05

a similar problem, (..."only opens the program with a grey blank area") recently with Word.

The symptoms weren't exactly the same, but it was cured with a repair of Office.

This is available via the Excel "Help" menu.

I'd suggest you try this first.

Apologies if you've already done so!

Diodorus Siculus 09:03 14 Feb 05

Or even the XP system file checker

sfc /scannow

black bart 19:08 14 Feb 05

Thanks guys/gals, should have said I'd tried the 'Detect & Repair' first, before the reinstall :-(
Had not thought about sfc, will give it a go :-)
Thanks again.
In case sfc don't work, has anybody else come up against this??

FelixTCat 19:17 14 Feb 05

Go to Tools - Folder Options - File Types and scroll down to XLS Click on it and click the Advanced button. Highlight Open and click Edit.

The Use DDE box should be ticked and the DDE Message should be something like: [open("%1")]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…