Excel Virus scan

osben 16:49 08 May 06

Using windows xp and Excel Xp2002

When I open up a worksheet in Excel I get a message come up along the bottom of the screen telling me that it has requested a virus scan.

Since I have an online virus programme running and therefore by definition ( assume) any worksheets that I am sent via email are checked for viruses when downloaded, why do I need to have this every time I open a worksheet up.

Is there any way of turning this of as it does slow down the opening of worksheet.

Diodorus Siculus 17:01 08 May 06

Do you have norton AV installed?

If so, it seems that the microsoft office integration option is on - look in the options to turn it off.

Noldi 19:13 08 May 06

If the work book has a macro it can activate a window asking to do a virus scan.

osben 07:16 09 May 06

Thanks for your replies guys.
Diodorus siculus - No I use AVG Free antivirus and there does not seem to be an option for this.

Noldi - it doesn't sem to matter what workbook I open up. It always does a virus scan.

Is there any way I can turn this off in Excel?

TonyV 11:50 09 May 06

I think if you open any Workbook, then Click on Tools/Macro/Security then check the bottom option, Low, that should stop the initial Virus scan whenever you open a new Workbook.

Try it and see.

TonyV 11:57 09 May 06

I should have said that's what happens in Excel 2000!

osben 15:29 09 May 06

TonyV - Thanks for your input. My security was set to high. Dropping it down has resolved the prob.

Thanks again

By the way, what does the "V" stand for?

TonyV 13:44 23 May 06

Glad to hear you have sorted your little problem with Excel. I have been away in France for a while so have not been on here for some time, hence the delay in responding. The V is for my surname!

osben 14:30 23 May 06

Hi TonyV

I had thought that what you suggested had fixed the problem but I spoke to soon.

However, I was also advised to re-installed my antivirus and all the settings and found a setting in it to allow or not allow an MS office plugin. Didn't need it so deleted it and this has solved the problem.

Thanks for comming back to me.

TonyV 20:12 23 May 06

That's good. I think a number of Anti-Virus programmes have a similar feature on them. So there may be two ways to kill a cat!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…