Excel unable to open .xsl files

PhiltheFragger 13:57 16 Jul 08

Vista pc running office 2003 prof with excel installed.

insists on opening excel files with a .xls prefix , with Word.

have been into default programs and tried to change the file association, but it ignores it.

If I right click a .xls file and select open with and navigate to excel,it ignores it

I have uninstalled and reinstalled office

if I open excel and hit open and navigate to the .xls files it opens them up no problem.

any ideas out there

Cheers
Fragger

€dstowe 14:02 16 Jul 08

In the title you gave .xsl files. This is different to .xls click here

nosharpe 14:03 16 Jul 08

open Excel, open file using Excel, then File SaveAs .xls file type

PhiltheFragger 17:39 16 Jul 08

apologies, the filesw in question are .XLS slip of the typewriter, I have already tried to save as and it doesnt change anything.

I use synctoy over a network to back up my docs and the other PC can access the files and open them in excel with no problem.

So I sumise that the files themselves are OK, the problem therefore must be with this vista machine and its inability to associate .XLS files with excel

LivEviL 19:47 16 Jul 08

Right click on the file go to properties

where it says "opens with" click on Change... the either select the program or browse for it and make sure that the "always use the selected program to open this kind of file" is ticked

Ditch999 19:55 16 Jul 08

This article explains what you need to do click here

nosharpe 20:19 16 Jul 08

try File SaveAs type as Excel 97

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…