Excel spreadsheets - find duplicate entries?

lindyloo4 18:53 26 Jun 06

We have a spreadsheet at work with 1800 names and addresses on of people who have to be contacted. We are to be sent another with probably the same number of names on.
Is there anyway we can check for duplicate entries?

Ideally we would be left with only names and addresses of people we have yet to contact.
Incase you need to know the forenames are in one column, surnames in another, street in another, town in another, etc.

If you can help, very simple language please. I'm not very good at excel. We are not allowed to download anything either.

Thanks in advance.

VoG will help but I think you will need VLookup to solve this.

Noldi 19:22 26 Jun 06

Sort the surname coloumn then you would see the duplicates together.
Data - Sort
I have another way that I sort lists from SAP but this uses a macro and I think you are looking for a simple answer

Noldi

VoG II 19:22 26 Jun 06

Add (copy and paste) the new details to the bottom of your existing table. Make sure that labels for Forenames, Surnames etc. are entered right at the top of the list (Row 1). Select all of the data, then from the Menu Data > Filter > Advanced Filter.

Click Copy to another Location. In CopyTo enter a different range (e.g. F1) that does not overlap your existing table. Tick Unique records only then click OK. This will remove duplicate entries.

How do I know which names you have not yet contacted?

lindyloo4 20:07 26 Jun 06

Noldi, thanks. I'd thought of using sort but realised I'd be left with the single entries between the duplicates and I need to mail merge when completed.

VoG™, That's just what I needed. Thanks very much.
Hope you enjoyed Teneriffe!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…