excel sheet opens two versions at once

keef66 15:48 24 Apr 08

One of my colleagues appears to have a haunted version of excel, or at least he keeps sending me the same spreadsheet with an unusual feature.

Whenever I open it, it opens 2 versions of itself, filename.xls:1 and filename.xls:2. They appear identical.

Any ideas??

Simsy 16:03 24 Apr 08

to see if it has any macros. Perhaps there is one that is making a duplicate.

Can you create a new xls file yourself... save it , close it and reopen it and see if the same thing happens. This will tie it down to either the specific file or your installation of Excel.

Good luck!

Regards,

Simsy

VoG II 16:14 24 Apr 08

With filename2.xls showing click the Close button (not the red X, the X below in. Save and close the file. The next time you open it there should only be one instance.

Onizuka 16:15 24 Apr 08

I had this same problem about seven years ago with a colleague whose knowledge of Excel was zero. I can’t now recall the solution but as far as I can remember it had something to do with the way he was saving and closing the spreadsheet. I’m sorry not to be more helpful but it may give you a lead. I’m sure that VOG™ will come up with the goods.

Onizuka 16:17 24 Apr 08

VoG™ (sorry for the VOG™) - I should have waited another couple of minutes!

keef66 16:25 24 Apr 08

My version of Excel is fine; I can open old files and create new ones without this happening. I can also open Excel files sent by other people.

baffling thing is we've all just had new laptops with identical builds / software versions etc.

I'll check out the macro possibility.

keef66 16:29 24 Apr 08

That seems to have done the trick. Many thanks; it was driving me bonkers!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now