Excel and 'Save' question.

exdragon 16:39 22 Jan 11

Hi - I've got a spreadsheet created on my XP desktop in Excel 2003 and which has been saved to a portable hard drive.

I've opened it on my Windows 7 laptop, but when trying to save any changes, I get the message that the file is read-only, which it isn't. My other half can plug the drive into his XP laptop and can open it in the same version of Excel and can save as normal.

Am I missing something here, please?

GaT7 16:44 22 Jan 11

How to troubleshoot errors when you save Excel files click here. G

Pineman100 17:03 22 Jan 11

Have you checked the file's properties on the external hard drive? It might have had Read Only switched on when it was saved to that drive.

Right-click on the file, then click Properties. Look on the General tab. At the bottom of the window there's a check-box for Read Only - if it's checked, uncheck it. (You may need Adminstrator privileges to do this).

uk-wizard 17:15 22 Jan 11

This often happens when if you copy a file in Word or Excel from one drive to another then back again. Use 'properties' as in Pineman100's post.

exdragon 17:20 22 Jan 11

Yes, I checked that to start with, but it's not. My other half has just found something which says you can't save old files to Excel 2007. The file opens and I can edit it without any problem.

I tried copying the file from the portable drive to the laptop, where I can edit and save, but then when trying to save back to the portable, am told I don't have permission to save to that location.

Looks as if the only way I can work on the file is to copy and paste back and forth.

exdragon 16:34 26 Jan 11

I really can't understand this - surely everyone who had excel 2003 spreadsheets and then changed to Windows 7 was still able to work on them?

I've tried running the compatibility option, converting it, saved it to the laptop, removed any conditional formatting but it still takes between 10 and 12 seconds to insert a line, and then the same to delete one. OK, there are over 10,000 lines, but I can do things at the speed of light when in XP.

wiz-king 16:40 26 Jan 11

Excel 2007 uses a different format, when you save you need to 'save as' 2003 format (.xls).

Nothing to do with Windows 7!

exdragon 17:03 26 Jan 11

I've saved it as every conceivable format, including Excel 97 - 2003.

GaT7 17:12 26 Jan 11

exdragon, may I suggest the MS Office Excel forums as your next port of call click here. I think the 'Creating, Formatting, Filtering and Sorting Data' is the relevant subforum to post in.

You can use your Windows Live ID to login & post there. If you don't have one, create a new one via click here?. G

exdragon 17:48 26 Jan 11

Thank you - I'll give it a go in the morning.

skeletal 17:57 26 Jan 11

Thinking out of the box as they say, your various computers don’t happen to have Adobe WRITER V6 by any chance?

Later versions of Office get completely screwed by older versions of the writer. It took me ages to work out various problems I was having and it turned out to be this.

I emphasise “writer”, i.e. it is not the reader that many people have.

Skeletal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…