Excel Recently Used File list not updating

Nosmas 13:03 24 Sep 05

My system is XP SP2 and MS Office 2000. (Most of my Excel workbooks were created under my old system of W98 and Office 97.) Quite suddenly the File Menu list of recently used files has failed to update. The list was originally set (Tools > Options > General) to display the last 6 files and when I changed that to 5 the last file dropped off the list. Changing the number to 8 and opening Workbooks other than those already in the list failed to update the list.

I then unticked the 'Recently used file list' box and (as expected) the whole list disappeared, but when I re-ticked the box there is still no list of files even after editing and saving workbooks.

The Registry Editor (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Excel\Recent Files) originally showed a list numbered from 1 to 6 with names of the workbooks alongside the respective numbers. Now there is only the list of 6 numbers (despite the setting having been changed to 8) and no names of workbooks.

All suggestions for a solution to this problem gratefully received.

VoG II 13:08 24 Sep 05

click here click here and click here may help you.

Nosmas 13:23 24 Sep 05

Many thanks for your very prompt reply. Your first link seems not to be working (the Tinyurl error message says it is being re-directed back to another Tinyurl which is in fact the same as the third link). The second gives instructions to do what I have already tried without success. It seems from the third link that Microsoft have acknowledged there is a problem if the file has been opened from Windows Explorer or File Manager or from a mail message. (File Manager doesn't apply to XP as far as I know).

How else can one open a file?

Any other solutions please?

VoG II 13:25 24 Sep 05

Start Excel, File | Open. Or use the toolbar button.

VoG II 13:30 24 Sep 05

Hopefully this link will be better click here

Nosmas 13:33 24 Sep 05

Doh!!! Thanks VoG. So obvious really, not awake today - shame on me!

Nosmas 14:00 24 Sep 05

Thanks for the corrected link. I had tried searching the MS Knowledge Base but obviously didn't get the right keywords as my results were not as helpful as those you produced.

Have now opened Excel workbooks from the File > Open route and Hey Presto! now have a list of recently used files, and the Registry has been updated. Remains to be seen if Microsoft decide to do anything about the acknowledged problem.

Once again many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…