excel question

sunny staines 00:12 30 Sep 06

using office xp excel one of my excel files has a short cut on the desktop but changes to the file via the desktop short cut never show up on the original file if i access it via my docs.

anyone help correct this please

Forum Editor 00:22 30 Sep 06

When you say that you have a desktop shortcut - do you mean that literally, that you created the shortcut from the original file location?

Or did you inadvertantly save the file to the desktop, as well as to a 'My docs' location?

It's been done many times before, and can be very irritating until you realise what's happening. I ask because you say "changes to the file via the desktop short cut never show up on the original file". Which leads me to think that the changes do show up on the desktop file - in other words you have two files.

Could that be a possibility?

VoG II 06:40 30 Sep 06

I'm inclined to agree with the FE on this one. Does the version on the desktop have a little arrow on the bottom left corner?

sunny staines 14:09 30 Sep 06

vog fe

i clicked on the excel folder and copied to the desktop, it used to work fine before but now acts as two different files with the same name.

beehive 17:30 30 Sep 06

Yes, you now have two files with the same name one on the desktop and another in mydocuments.

To make a shortcut from windows explorer right click on the file and select 'send to' slect desktop and you have a shortcut. Shortcuts have an arrow in the lower left corner, files do not.
you can always delete the older file and move the new file to to mydocuments and then make the shortcut
beehive

sunny staines 17:48 30 Sep 06

beehive thanks for the advice i will try sendto desktop instead of copy to desktop.

sunny staines 17:15 01 Oct 06

i used create short cut on right click instead of copy to desktop now ok.

thanks all for helping.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…