excel query - can I add alternate cells in a row?

hastelloy 19:44 16 Jul 13
Answered

I am preparing a spreadsheet and need a total in D2 of the entries in F2, H2, J2 etc. I know I could do this manually but, as I need to add over 50 cells, I'm looking for a formula to do it for me. I'm using Office 2007 on a W7 PC and office 2010 on a W7 laptop.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

compumac 20:00 16 Jul 13

In D2 enter =F2+H2+J2etc and the copy D2 downwards?

Abel 21:44 16 Jul 13

Marvin42, just s compumac says, but a way of doing this simply is to hold the shift key down while clicking in the cells you want to total. They can be as random as you like

hastelloy 08:11 17 Jul 13

Many thanks.

That's what I meant by doing it manually. Being lazy, I'd hoped there'd be a quicker way!!

Abel You mean hold the Ctrl key down - not the shift key. Holding the shift key gives all cells between.

hastelloy 10:35 17 Jul 13

Actually, we're both wrong. I've just done it by clicking in the first cell then put + then click in the next cell and so on. Very laborious. I'd still like to know if there's a quicker way. This is OK for a few cells but for 50 ............

compumac 10:47 17 Jul 13

Is this an ongoing spreadsheet involving a lot of rows and also does the content get changed regularly?

I recollect many years ago having a similar need on some very large continually used changing spreadsheets, but cannot recollect as to how I resolved it. Will have to sit back and contemplate.

Zak 11:33 17 Jul 13

This seems to fit the bill:

Summing Alternate Columns

compumac 12:12 17 Jul 13

Zak You are correct. The posting from Ekim dated October 2002 does work for the needs of Marvin42

hastelloy 14:40 17 Jul 13

compumac "Is this an ongoing spreadsheet involving a lot of rows and also does the content get changed regularly?"

It will probably start with about 20 rows but these will be added to through the year. The columns to be summed are added weekly over a 12 month period - hence the 50 columns to add.

Zak

Thanks for the link but this adds everything in each alternate column. I need a total for alternate columns in each row. i.e. D2 will add alternate columns in row 2, D3 alternate columns in row 3 etc.

compumac 15:02 17 Jul 13

Marvin42.

But does the link as offered by Zak do exactly what you want- Just copy the formula down for each row.

Zak 15:30 17 Jul 13

marvin42

I see, then compumac suggestion is correct i.e.

D2 enter =F2+H2+J2 and the copy D2 downwards or a tidier formula achieving same is

=SUM(F2,H2,J2) and as above drag copy downwards in your totals column.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…