Excel Quandry

warthog01 11:28 12 Jan 06

Here's one of life's great mysteries (to me anyway). I'm a novice Excel user, but I'm trying to populate a workbook provided to me as part of a project. New Entries or modifications on the setup page are supposed to flow through other related pages in the worksheet but they don't. I enter new data, click update and nothing transfers. There are a number of us working the same project having the same problem.

Here's the kicker--my colleague, two desks over, has taken the workbook I sent him and successfully entered data which transferred so formulas, etc are obviously OK. Our Excel versions and IT setups are identical and Excel settings (macro security, etc) seem to be ok as well. We've gone through the process and he's not doing anything different from me.

To further baffle me--if he makes amendments and sends the file back to me, then I can make amendments as well!! But if I open the file from scratch, I'm back to square one.

I'm hesitant to forward the working file he's sent me to other colleagues as I still don't understand what's not working and would like to know I'm providing a good platform for the work.

Can anyone unravel the mystery for me?

johnnyrocker 11:32 12 Jan 06

is the book share to all or only some?

johnny.

warthog01 12:05 12 Jan 06

Hi Johnny
The Share workbook box wasn't ticked, but I believe this is a stand alone workbook (i.e. not linked--we're all making our own separate inputs). I've ticked the box now, but don't think it will have any effect on what anyone else is doing (and it hasn't made it work for me, either!!)

VoG II 12:35 12 Jan 06

Does the Update button call a macro? Have you enabled macros? In Excel 2003 Tools|Options, Security tab, Macro Security button.

johnnyrocker 12:42 12 Jan 06

i cant see the point of several seperate inputs as there must be a chance of duplication?

johnny.

warthog01 17:14 12 Jan 06

VoG & Johnnyrocker

Yes, Macros are enabled and the separate inputs are due to each section doing its own part of the project.Duplication is OK

Thanks

VoG II 17:19 12 Jan 06

Maybe the macro isn't working. ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor. If you post the code here somebody can take a look.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…